Response Speed

Quitsa

Furuno Super Fan
My TZT 12L is quite slow to respond to command inputs (to the point of being pretty annoying) compared to many other systems I have used including other Furuno MFDs. For example, after tapping the home button or swiping to get access to the menus on the top and bottom or the data boxes, it will take a few seconds to actually show the menu. Then when a further command is input such as selecting a display from the Home screen, it takes several seconds to respond. The pan and zoom functions on the plotter respond quickly but any menu-related function is slow.

The installation is on a small center console. It is extremely simple with just a single standalone unit that has no network connections of any kind or external devices other than a sonar transducer.

I have tried all kinds of things such as completely clearing the unit through a "hard" factory reset (not a "wipe") and reinstalling the unit software. I am running the most recent version (3.01).

Is there anything I can do in the settings that might reduce the processing load and speed up its response? Does it help to delete unused chart files and free up memory? It is a nice unit with an excellent screen and works fine as long as you don't mind waiting.

You can ensure your unit has no duplicate waypoints in the waypoint listing.
You can remove and customize your Chart card to have only the maps you need. The entire western hemisphere is loaded on the 128gb chip, so the machine has a lot of indexing to do for the charts. Customizing your charts can help.

I am pleased to report that your suggestions did speed up the response quite a bit. What had the greatest impact was making a new micro SD card that only had the raster and vector charts for my home waters and the tide data stored on it. I deleted all of the charts in the catalogue list, took out the factory SD card, and then inserted the new SD card with only the three files on it.

Deleting the waypoints didn't have much of an effect.

I have been having problems with response speed to the point that I was thinking about maybe putting another display in because it just takes WAY TO LONG to switch between pages. Reading this post I decided to try deleting the maps I don't have any use for. I was really pleasantly surprised to find that my response speed really increased after deleting the maps I don't need.

One question though about the filter switch on the catalog page where the maps are listed. It looks like the filter might allow me to disable some maps without deleting them completely.

Would using the filter accomplish the same speed increase as deleting maps on the card? Or is the filter used for something else?

The filter is only to narrow the list down to assist you in finding a chart you are seeking. It doesn't keep the unit from indexing the charts located on the chart card or showing any selected chart on the plotter screen.

OK thanks JE thats exactly what I needed to know. I didn't mean to hijack this thread but figured it was a good place to put the question in case anyone else is thinking the same thing.....

haneyrm":2tn7tpew said:
how did you guys determine which charts to delete? The names on the SD card are a little cryptic. Thanks.

I did it the other way around by downloading the newest versions of the three charts I needed and copying them onto a new micro SD card, which I then swapped out with the one that comes installed in the unit.

haneyrm":392eo97y said:
how did you guys determine which charts to delete? The names on the SD card are a little cryptic. Thanks.

I took the card out and made a copy on another card then installed the copy and deleted the maps I didn't want directly from the tzt2 screen. I deleted almost everything but west coast. I have no need for stuff like inland waterways. I noticed a big speed difference right away. If I didn't hear about increasing speed buy deleting un-wanted maps on this forum I think I would have really been frustrated with my decesion to upgrade to the TZT2.

I would hope Furuno will somehow inform TZT2 users that don't look at these forums for how to increase there TZT2 speed.

Maybe add an insert that would at least give new owners some direction on how to optionally increase the speed by deleting un-wanted maps if they want. I liked the idea that all the maps I would really ever need are already on the card but the maps I want are totally different than the guy on the the other coast or inland so I can see why Furuno put everything on the card. All those maps I don't need just slow it down way to much so some direction from Furuno to increase speed is necessary when a new owner opens the box. The time to inform people about this is on the brochure when they are comparing units and not find out about it after purchase and getting frustrated with slow speed and then stumbling upon the fix in these forums.

Probably this could be fixed simply in the software by programming the unit so that it does not index or load charts except those selected by the user it settings.

The slow response speed is one of the frequent criticisms and disappointments with the TZT 2. It would be very worthwhile for Furuno to fix the map issue rather than having the users deal with it.

Back