Mounting a 165T-265LH-PM488 transducer

ericl

I am considering DFF3D & DFF1-UHD fishfinders. What are the downsides of using a 165T-26LH-PM488 shooting thru the hull (it is solid F/G)?

Also, are there instructions anywhere on creating the pocket? - not that I will DIY the pocket, but I'd like a better understanding of how the pocket is created before putting a LARGE hole in my boat.

Ericl,
Good question.
The PM488 wasn't designed to be in-hull mounted. Could it be? Sure you could fabricate a box, fill it with anti-freeze but you would be the first to try it with this set up. I would only recommend an in-hull transducer installation as the very last resort. Why, to much around trip signal loss.

We (FUSA) get involved more with placing transducers more than advising how to mount them. We will leave the mounting up to the individual dealers or the vessel manufactures. However their are two commonly used methods. First is that the transducer is mounted in a fairing block and then the fairing block is attached to the hull. The second is that the transducer is attached to a removable plate and then fitting up into the fairing block. Below is a picture of the latter, if you look closely you can see the screws holding the plate in the fairing.

Snips

Attachments

• Image100003.jpg
    Image100003.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 1,243
Hi Snips Thanks for the prompt reply; especially on a weekend. It sounds like the transducer must be surrounded by fluid for cooling? If so, what distance between the transducer & the walls of a housing must be maintained? It sounds like building a water tight pocket inside the boat with the transducer face flush with the hull exterior is good?

Ericl,
The cooling of the 488 is done via the face of the transducer not by the sides.

Snips

Back