3kW transducer or 526TID-HDD?

islandtime

Hi,

I'm replacing my two Navnet VX2's with two new TZT2 12" MFD's. My existing DFF3 and 3kW transducer (unsure of model number) is still working. What are pros/cons to staying with the existing transducer vs. changing or adding a 526TID-HDD? The boat is a 36' Bertram. I mostly fish in 150 - 350 feet of water, but do want to see the bottom at 1500 feet when fishing for swordfish.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Islandtime,
Hard to advise without know what transducers are connected to the DFF3. Do you have any idea i.e. one transducer, two transducers, in-hull, thru-hull, shape. How well does that set up currently work?

Snips

It's a one transducer thru hull. It's mounted underneath the engine batteries, so it's pretty difficult to get to. I'm going to the boat this weekend and will see if I can get any info on it. It works okay, but nothing spectacular from what I've seen. I know that it does not have seawater temperature.

Islandtime,
If it is a single cable it is most likely an Airmar transducer. With any luck there may be a label still on the transducer cable by the DFF3.

Snips

Is it possible and would there be any advantage to installing the 526TID-HDD and connecting it to the second TZTL12F?

Islandtime,
It would give you a secondary sounder. Overall the DFF3 has more capabilities than sounder module in the TZT2, at being said it really depends on the transducer that it is connected to.

Snips

Hi Snips,

Thanks for your help so far. I found the tag in the transducer cable. It’s an R399 transducer (2-3 kW) made by Airmar. I was reading up on it and it seems like it may be what I need to use for what I’m doing.

One more question.....is there a handy guide for setting up this transducer on the new TZT2’s. I’m mainly interested in what is required to switch frequencies when fishing.

Thanks!

Islandtime,
Knowing you have a in-hull R-399 makes a world of difference. Even though it is a 3/2Kw transducer you won't be able to over the signal loss shooting through the hull. At this point you are better off either going with the 526TID -HDD and pairing with the TZT2 or going with the 526TID-HDN and pairing it the DFF3.

Snips

Back