DFF3D First Time Out

MarMax

Furuno Super Fan
Had the DFF3D on the water for the first time yesterday. Everything seemed to work fine. It's clear that there is a learning curve, especially since I'm learning the TZT along with the DFF3D.

I have the TM54 transducer and using the multi-sounder display as a reference I was able to get up to about 20 kts. before any noise started to appear on the display. I'm assuming that this is pretty good but would like confirmation.

The Navpilot 711C was also tested on the water for the first time yesterday and although I was not able to test it with the DFF3D, I would like some help with how to use the DFF3D history to place a mark that I can navigate to using the Navpilot. The user manual is not
very clear in this regard.

I was running the DFF1 along with the DFF3D since I'm very familiar with the DFF1 and wanted to compare things. For the most part the DFF1 and DFF3D multi-sounder display center beam were nearly identical. With the cross section display I needed to adjust the gain(? ) from 30 up to about 60 to get things to display in the water column.

With the 3D display, how do I shut off or speed up the video playback (roll up) that it does each time you select this display? When I select the 3D display I want to see whats under the transducer immediately. I'd like to keep the history too, but don't like the delay for the roll up show.

Lastly, I would like to know how to save screen shots of the various DFF3D displays.

Thanks again Johnny. So is this the same procedure I follow to mark a school of fish with a waypoint? I just need to select "Event" instead of "Screen Capture"?

Yes and no. If you do an event mark it will drop the point at your current position. This works great for when you just see something come up on the sounder. (like from your A-scope) If your school of fish has already been past over and showing at the middle of your sounder screen, you would just touch the school with your finger and select "New Waypoint" from the popup. This will drop the point exactly where the fish were behind the boat. The waypoint is geo-referenced. This way you can circle back and snag those guys.

Back