1K vs 2k Transducer in shallow waters.

dalegoble

Is there any benefit in running a 2k transducer over a 1k transducer in waters 100' or so. Looking for hard bottom ? Furuno 295..Searched the site to try to find a answer .

Dalegoble,
Normally a 2kw transducer has more elements and thus have a narrower beam pattern than a 1kw. But in 100ft of water you won't see much of a difference. What I would be looking for is finding a transducer with the highest "Q" value.

Snips

Thanks Snips...
Just got my 295 mounting in boat and going to try the existing transducers just for test.
After doing much reading on this site , high Q value Furuno Transducers is the way I need to go like you said. I do like the 25 deg. 200 khz airmar that I have because of the wide cone angle but have not tested it yet with the 295, Weather is rough right now.
So in your expert opinion what is the best Furuno high Q transponder I can use for shallow waters looking for hard bottom. I also, if possible want to find hard bottom under way.
I am limited on mounting because its a cat. But I can make a transom bracket or adapt it to one. The airmar Chirp transom mounts are good but have low Q.
This is a great site and thank you for taking the time to answer all the questions that come across this site.

Dalegoble,
I will be curious to hear how your combination works for you.

Snips

Whats the best Furuno Transducer for my fishing ? Ca50/200/12m ?

Swallow waters, 100' looking for hard bottom ..
Looked at alot of machines and pics of bottom. Had Ray-marine, Lowrance, Garmin.
My old Furuno Tube bottom machine beat them all.
Not impressed with this Chirp thing. They paint alot of pretty pictures of fish and schools.
Iam looking for that bottom and the fish you cant see.

You got my attention on the high Q thing...
Tell me what I need, please.
Thanks
Dale

Dalegoble,
In my humble option either the CA50/200-12M or 1T are the transducers I would look at. I also wouldn't rely on solely on 200Khz as I think 50Khz can yield as much (or more) bottom hardness information. I would use both frequencies to glean as much bottom detail as possible.

Snips

Thanks for the answer. After I test these two Airmar transducers I think I will order a CA50/200-12m.
I think I can make a bracket to mount on the transom. I'll figure out a way to use it.
Just have to see what the others will do.
Will post my results with some pics when the weather calms down a bit.
Thanks Agin for your help
Dale

Dalegoble,
If you are going to transom mount it use the 1T as the 12M wasn't designed to be totally submerged.

Snips

Back