TVG settings for Shallow waters. Furuno 295

dalegoble

See alot of post for TVG settings for deep water but not any for shallow waters.
Fishing in the 100' range, looking for targets close to the bottom and looking for hard bottom.
What are the best settings for TVG Level and TVG Distance. Want to focus on returns close to the bottom and nothing up in the water column. Also does TVG Distance effect 2nd or 3rd echos if your looking for hard bottom ? I know the default TVG Distance is 600', should I change this ?

Thanks for any suggestions..

I think I understand that the TVG Distance is the distance at which it reaches max and after that its the same. To put more signal at the bottom and less at the top would be a higher TVG Level ? Just trying to get the best setup advice for the Gulf bottom fishing in our area which is 100' or so...

Dalegoble,
TVG stands are Time Varied Gain. On the FCV-295 it is divided into two parts, Level and Distance. The Level sets the sounders gain right under the vessel (0ft) and Distance sets the depth that the sounder reaches whatever front panel gain you are set to. The theory is you don't need as much gain in shallow water as deep so the TVG controls are used to vary the gain at different depths. Out of the box the default settings are Level (4) and Distance (600ft). I can't say use a Level setting of 2 or 4 or 6 will meet your needs in 100ft so I suggest the next time out set the Level at 0 and work up. Setting the Level at 0 will probably give you to much clutter on the screen but it will clean up with a higher setting.

Snips

Back