DFF3D question

ginodan

Snips
i have been told that the if the dff3d picks up fish on the port or starboard side beams that you cannot put a cursor and mark it unless you have a sat compass onboard ,and also on 3d mode. Apparently you can only mark on the centre beam and below the boat on 3d mode,and if you see fish on port or starboard you need to search around until centre beam picks them up so you can mark with the gps ,is this the case.

You need a heading sensor to mark a point in the 3D mode. A compass with heading output will do. You don't need a sat compass.
You can put down a point any where on the 3d, multi-beam, or side scan display.

Ok thankyou i will speak to furuno again in aus as they told me that they where letting potenial buyers know of this problem before purchase and at this stage i would need a sat compass to accurately mark on the port and starboard beams

It isn't a problem, it is a needed requirement for some selections. You will need heading for some marks/points where it goes beyond two dimensions. There are tables in the book for each screen selection for what requires heading and what doesn't. (Para 4.2.6)

Counter to what they are telling you; a Sat Compass isn't required. As long as it is a suitable boat, most people use a simple flux gate compass. The sounder functions fine without any heading but some dimensional screen marks will be limited. It is much like a radar requiring heading to overlay data on a plotter. It is a needed component if you want the extra features.

For those using a PC with TZ Pro, I know that a Sat compass is the recommendation because of the PBG feature.

On the last statement:
I am going to use the PBG. I only have a heading sensor. Any rough idea of how the accuracy is impacted by using a fluxgate?

Flowmotion,
If the fluxgate is properly calibrated the difference should be very small. If there is a difference it will appear in deep water on the outer side of the recording beams.

Snips

Back