Best transducer for bottom fishing

ginodan

Hi all i fish for dermersals from 10-70 mtrs iam looking for advice on the best transducer for my tzt2 preferably through hull mainly looking close to the bottom i currently run 6m bottom lock and range shift to show last 15 mtrs with my p66, can i possibly get a tranny with a wide beam that will show high definition on the seabed, i know narrow cone angles show better definition but lack the coverage of a wide beam is there a compromise ?? and happy to use high frequency only as i don't fish deep but need something that will also pick up bottom hardness .

Sounder questions normally get more feedback when posted under the sounder topic area. I will move your question.

Ginodan,
How big is your vessel? How do you currently judge bottom hardness, using the primary return or the second/third echoes?

Snips

Snips
Boat is only 18ft and i judge hardness with primary return , had my heart set on dff3d but the ground i fish is very barron looking for low lying plate coral etc and hard bottom, and iam not sure that the dff3d can determine bottom hardness on 3d screen .Iam on the south coast of Australia and we travel long distances to find fish and ground so any advantage would be great.

Ginodan,
Smaller hulls equal a shallower draft so you are going to see more turbulence with any transducer you use unless you pole mount one. Can you see hardness changes in the primary echo, yes you can. But you will be see more subtle changes by using the 2nd or third returns than the primary. Pole mounting a CA50/200-1T with a MB-1100 is my first choice and the second would be using the 526TID-HDD with the fairing block. Below is a screen shot of a TZT2 with the 526TID. The 1T will better at showing hardness changes in the primary return where you will need to use the 2 or 3rd return with the 526TID.

Snips

Attachments

• TZT2.JPG
    TZT2.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 2,156
Snips
Thankyou for your reply , can the ca50/200 1t be wet faced in ? will the BD and ACC fish still work , and do you think the dff3d would be suitable for my fishing ? i know the last one is hard to answer was ready to puchase multi beam sounder but was put off after speaking to the dealer who fitted one to a customers boat in that he wasnt very impressed with it all.cheers Gino

Ginodan,
Can you better describe what you mean by "wet faced in".

Snips

Snips
The transducer is glassed into the hull and the face is flush with the outside of the hull hence the term wet faced

Ginodan,
The 1T was designed to be tank mounted i.e surrounded by water. Could you pocket mount it, sure but it probably will change it characteristics slightly. And I know that the BD and Resboost modes have not been tested like this.

Snips

Snips
will a CA50/200-12M do the same job as the CA50/200-1T ?? looks easier to fit and the website states thats its compatible with acc fish and bottom discrimination.

Ginodan,
I like the 12M. One draw back is that it doesn't come with a fairing block. However I have found that if you are handy with a Dremel tool you modify a B-260 fairing to work with the 12M.

Snips

Back