DFF3D Testing Safely Out of the Water

MarMax

Furuno Super Fan
I'll be receiving my DFF3D soon from my dealer and in anticipation of installation I have some questions. I keep the boat in the garage so it's necessary to run my navnet system out of the water while at home testing things. With the current system I just leave the transmission off for the DFF1 and DRS, except for some short duration tests.

I'll be connecting the DFF3D up on a hybrid NN3D/TZT system, which is officially not supported, yet people do it. Because of this unknown I want to do a quick and dirty hook up so I can run everything and see if and how I can get the DFF3D recognized on the TZT. Want to do this first before I even think about installing the transducer.

So my first question is can I connect the DFF3D with power and network only (no transducer connected) to play around with selecting it as a device on the TZT? It's no problem to hook up the transducer if it has to be connected, just need to know if anything can be damaged without a transducer. Or if I won't be able to configure it without a transducer.

Second question is if I need to connect the transducer, is it OK to run it in air for 1-2 minutes only for testing (similar to what I do with the B117). Or if this is not advisable, can I put the transducer in a bucket of water for testing?

MarMax,
To be safe I would connect the transducer. After that I would either place the DFF3D in the Stand-by mode or go into the menu and reduce the output power.

Snips

Back