Working deep water with a 3kw 38kHz transducer

A

Anonymous

snips, I have a 295 hooked up to a 3kw trasnducer that can run 38 & 200 kHz. When i am under 70f I use the 200, works a treat and got no problems except lack of colours
However when i get out chasing blue eye at 400-550m the sound reads the btm but not as well as I would like. I have the tvg set at 400m and about 6 setting. gain is about 4, power 10 screen speed 2: 1 otherwise its so slow crossing the screen
What about the white line system built into unit, what should I be doing with this. The fish i am chasing are living up off the bottom, say 20-50m off but I would like to see the bait fish as well. cant see them at the moment.
I had a 292 set up a few years ago on another boat and it worked a treat, just having a bit of trouble fine tuning this one.
Any advice greatly appreciated
cheers

Westbassst,
My one question would be what transducer are you using since 38Khz wasn't an option for the FCV292. Also what transducer were you using on the 292?

Snips

Snips I’m using the 3kw with the 295 presently
On my old 292 I just had a 2 kw
Hope that makes it clearer
Cheers

WestbasssT,
What 38Khz transducer are you using on the 295 and what 2kw ducer did you use on the 292?

Snips

see the attachment , this is the cable from transducer

Attachments

• IMG_1146.jpg
    IMG_1146.jpg
    730.9 KB · Views: 1,688
Westbassst,
If you are using a R-399 your description of what you are seeing is exactly why I don't recommend using any in-hull transducers. That being said I have a few suggestions. First would be to reset the frequency to 28 Khz. From testing I have found that the 309-399 performance is pretty equal from 25-45 Khz. Performance at depth is more frequency related than power. Second you will need more gain. However if you really want to see a night and day difference you are going to need to pole mount the 399 and get it out of it's yellow box.

The biggest issue with any in-hull transducer is the "round trip" signal loss that occurs. We often use the analogy of "would you put a good set of stereo speakers in closet" and expect them to sound the same. Well that isn't exactly true because that is only a one way loss. The better analogy is that your speakers are in one closet and you are in another. You may still be able to feel the bass (seabed) but what about the high notes (fish).

Snips

great reply, I have often wondered about the efficiency of sending the pulse through fibreglass and the loss of signal.
Just going to be a ******* to get it out of the box
What about pole mounts, are there any you recommend??
dont really see that many here in Aust.
Cheers Snips thanks for your help

Westbassst,
Sorry I don't know anybody that makes a pre made pole mount. There are just to many variables to take into account i.e. vessel size, draft, speed and transducer size.

Snips

Back