Simrad gps data to furuno fcv295?

M

Mdrought

Hello

I am wanting to Get my GPS data from my Simrad chart plotter in NSs evo two to my furuno fcv295.

I am wanting to use the gps data for the mark fish button and then also have the fcv295 talk to the simrad and display the new marks on the simrad charts.
Is this possible?

I’m also planning to get the max sea time zero set up from my fcv295 if I can get this to work.
As I need the gps data from the fcv295 to feed into max sea.

I’m thinking I can take the data from the NMEA 2000 network backbone and connect it into the wago connector in the back of the fcv295.

Appreciate any feedback and if possible to do this what wires to what connections.

Regards
Mark

Good morning Mdrought,

Thank you for your inquiry. The FCV295 can interface with a GPS unit. The data protocol the FCV295 works with is called NMEA0183. You mentioned below the Simrad unit is able to communicate using NMEA2000. Unfortunately the FCV295 will not be able to inteface using the NMEA2000 protocol. However, Furuno USA makes an NMEA2000/NMEA0183 converter that will change the data format for both the input data and output data. The Furuno converter is called: IF-NMEA2k2. Please see link below.

https://www.furunousa.com/en/support/if-nmea2k2

If your simrad unit has the ability to input/output using NMEA1083 then this converter will not be required.

Once the fcv295 has lat/long it can create a mark using this data and store it internally. The FCV295 can store up to 20 waypoints. Once the mark button is pushed it will store the lat/lon location as well as send this data to a GPS chart plotter that is compatible using NMEA0183 data sentences "RMB" and "TLL". If the IF-NMEA2k2 is required you will need to confirm that the Simrad unit can use NMEA2000 PGN's: 129284, 129285, 130828.

The FCV295 has (1) NMEA0183 output. So you could use this port to potentially talk to the Simrad unit and Maxsea depending on the cable run length. The FCV295 has very little ouput data sentence options. So an additional inteface from the Simrad to MaxSea TZ would be required to get position into the MaxSea TZ program. Please also keep in mind that when using any RS422 connection to a computer serial port that is RS232 an opto isolater is highly recommended. If an opto isolator is not used when connecting the FCV295 to a computer that uses a RS232 serial port damage to the FCV295 could occur.

Kind Regards,
C-Bass

Back