DFF1 SS264 Issues

A

Anonymous

I recently purchased a boat with a DFF1 and SS264 pair transducers with dual NavNet 3D displays and can't seem to get an performance out of them.

From all I have read, this should be a great setup, but I'm not impressed, which leads me to wonder if something is wrong with the ducers or DFF1.

When left in auto cruise mode, it will not read the bottom on plane at all, even at 28-30 mph.
If I take it out of all of the auto modes I can get it to read up to about 35-40 mph but the picture is terribly broken and almost worthless to watch while cruising. Above 40 mph we lose it all, won't even tell me depth.

Drifting or trolling it's decent, but not what I feel it should be detail wise.

Depths are all less than 100'

Where should I start looking before ripping it all out?

Notelin,
Sounds like turbulence. The way you tell is at the dock with no movement the bottom should be solid on both frequencies. As you start moving the 50Khz side will start to get noisy and gaps in the bottom will start to appear. At a higher speed the bottom on 50khz may totally disappear and the 200khz will start to have gaps. As the vessel slows down the bottom on the 50Khz side will start to reappear as broken segments. Does this describe what you are seeing?

Snips

Snips,

Yes this is whats happening.

Should I be considering a a new transducer setup? Boat is a Freeman 33.

Notelin,
When I looked online at a Freeman 33 it show two hull types, Cat and mono hull. Which one do you have?

Snips

The boat is the Freeman Cat. One transducer in each hull.

Notelin,
I don't think I have yet to see a cat hull that made placing a transducer easy. Do you have any pictures of the area in front of the motors. I have had a couple of owners make a pocket mount back there. It wasn't prefect, but it increased their performance.

Snips

Back