Replacing transducer for 1670F

ACDIII

I currently am using a P66 on my 1670F. I am able to see bottom structure readings up to approx 100 ft but I do not see the detail/fish I'd like to see at this depth.I'm not experiencing any interference on the sounder and I do not loose bottom at speed. Most of my fishing is in the GOM for grouper and snapper.

If I change the transducer to a B164 thru hull will this make a significant improvement over the P66 and would this extend my sonar capabilities out to 300 ft. Any other transducer recommendations?

Thanks
Andy

ACDIII,
First I would default the settings on the sounder. Your P-66 should easily see 300ft on both frequencies. If you see no improvement I would hang another transducer over the side to compare the two. Below is a screen shot of a FCV-620 using a P-66 for reference.

Snips

Attachments

• P-66.JPG
    P-66.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 830
Thanks for your reply.....I'll try the default reset and see how it goes. Do I understand correctly that at 300 ft the 1Kw transducer is not going to give me any significant improvement provided my sounder and 600w transducer are operating properly? The screenshot you show of the 620 is no where close to what I view on my current equipment... except in simulation mode.
Thanks again for your help
Andy

ACGIII,
On paper the B-164 is a better transducer. On the plus side it has three elements, can handle more power and has a slight narrower beam width. On the other side it is a flush mount and is prone to ringing. If you want to use a 1kw transducer I would look at one that uses a fairing block.

Snips

Back