Transducer Q's

A

Anonymous

I have been doing some research to replace a 12-year-old Raymarine L1250 sonar unit with a combined chart plotter – sonar unit.

I do almost all of my bottom fishing in less than 100 feet in the northeast Gulf of Mexico. On some other discussion boards, I've gotten input from some users with first-hand experience with CHIRP units and Furuno units with Rezboost and they are reporting the Rezboost system gives as good a reading as CHIRP in water up to 100 ft deep.

My boat is it 25 Contender center console with 24° of dead rise and I would like to install a through hull transducer with the capability to report water temperature. I mainly fish for grouper, which in our area tend to hang very close to the bottom and being able to differentiate sand versus flat limestone bottom is essential to finding the fish.

I have a couple questions.
1. Will getting a 1 kW transducer offers significant benefit over 600 W in water between 25 – 100 feet deep?
2. Are transducers available that will offer bottom discrimination without CHIRP?

Dan in FL,
I think you would be fine with a 600 watt transducer since you fishing less than 100ft. What sounder are you looking at?

Snips

Dan in FL,
So are you looking to use the TZT2's internal sounder? The reason I asked is that you mentioned Chirp and the internal sounder module is not Chirp.

Snips

I was contrasting TZ touch 2 with rezboost vs CHIRP units from Garmin & Simard.

Dan in FL,
I would suggest looking at the 525T-BSD and using a fairing block. There are two types available, regular and high speed. The 525T-BSD has temperature and will also let use the Bottom Discrimination feature in TZT2.

Snips

Back