DFF 3D in 200-600'- Questions

T

TeamRezoned

Good morning,
We have a 33T Contender and primarily fish the northern Gulf of Mexico in 200-600' of water. We are considering replacing our current NavNet VX2 with the TZTouch2/ DFF3d sounding box/165T Transom Mount Transducer. We spend a significant amount of time at speeds of 6-7 knots looking for new spots.

I know the DFF3d is a fairly new technology, but I am wondering how well it will work for identifying SMALL spots in 200-600' of water. Our area of the gulf is primarily mud bottom, and the best spots are edges between hard/soft bottom, smaller roll offs, small rocks, small artificial reefs, etc. Is there any bottom discrimination technology built in to the DFF3d which will help identify the difference between hard and soft bottom? How well will the DFF30 show a spot with 5' of relief in these depths? If you show a spot off to the side of the boat, can you move the cursor over and drop a waypoint on top of it so you can return to it?

Thanks in advance for any input you guys may have.

Dan

TeamRezoned,
The DFF-3D will do part of what you are asking. If you see something in the port/stbd beam you can put a mark on it and it will be recorded on the correct side of your track line. If you look at the tail of the side looking beams they will give you a good indication of bottom hardness. I think what you are looking for is very similar to this WASSP screen shot below where the bottom changes color when the hardness changes, correct?

Snips

Attachments

• Fish #14.jpg
    Fish #14.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 1,380
Snips,
Yes, that would be VERY helpful. I understand that the WASSP technology is far superior to anything on the market today. I am hoping that the DFF3d has similar capabilities. with that being said, I will still be pleased if the DFF3d can identify small structure off to the side of the boat, regardless of whether it can tell hard vs soft.

Have you had the chance to test the DFF3d in deep water? If so, could you please share your thoughts?

Thanks

As much as I would love to have the WASSP technology, I don't think it would make sense on our center console boat. The boat is kept on a trailer, so I believe we will need the transom mount transducer. The DFF3D seems like the best option for our situation, I am just hoping to receive some honest feedback before pulling the trigger on a $10k+ GPS/Radar/Black Box/Transducer Combo.

Thanks,

TeamRezoned,
Understood, WASSP is in a class by itself.
One of our guys is going out later this week so lets see what screen shots he come back with.

Snips

That is excellent.

I will look forward to hearing the feedback!

Back