Bottem discrimination/composition

A

Anonymous

Hello,
Commercial fish for lobster in 100-500ft of water.Main goal for my setup would be seeing the slow transition from mud to gravel to hard bottem.used to have older 585 i believe and it worked flawlessly for that.
Does the newer chirp dffuhd units perform in this aspect as well?
I also ground/tuna fish and a buddys screen shots of tuna are quite amazing.j ust not sure if chirp will show the tailings on first echo like my older unit.
Thanks in advance

Mslayride,
Well you have a couple of variables in what you are looking to do. Using a FCV-585 with a CA50/200-12M would give you nice "tails" in the primary echo. If you were using a B-260 with the 585 the bottom hardness would have shown up better in the secondary echoes. Would the UHD do a better job, it really depends on what exactly you are looking for. If you want the UHD to display what bottom type you are over (Rocks, Gravel, Mud or Sand) you will need to use the B-265 transducer. Using this combination, the UHD is pretty accurate to around 60fm, specially using the Probability Mode. But the B-265 isn't a good choice if you are going to fish for Tuna with the UHD, the B-275 is better for Tuna.

Hope this information helps.

Snips

Will the b265 be the choice as well paired with the 295/1150 for primary echo "tails"?

Mslayride,
While the B-265 is a good transducer and has it merits, it is also a low "Q" transducer. These transducers really don't show a good tail in the primary echo. Bottom hardness for low "Q" transducer shows up in the secondary echoes.

Snips

Back