Real world tests on DFF3D

To those that have first hand experience running this sounder with a properly mounted 165T-B54 Thru hull, how fast can you run and have it still hold bottom in say 200-600ft? Obviously the image isn't going to be anywhere near as detailed as say under 10kts but if it paints the bottom in 3D side to side several hundred feet to the side of you well enough to know if you ran over something thats all it would need to do. Then you could swing back around slower over the target and get a better visual of what it was. I'm switching back to Furuno on my next boat hands down because of the service and reliability and this sounder module is making the decision easier. Thanks for the help. Any real world screen shots out there feel free to post them up too.

Good morning Tailin strange,

Thank you for your inquiry. I had the opportunity to use the DFF3D a couple of weeks ago on a short sea trial. I do not possess all the answers for you but I will share my experience. The boat I was on was approximately 60ft with a bronze thru hull 165T-B54. The vessel was a typical sport fisher similar to a Viking. We went out to tune his sounder which needed a couple of tweaks to maximize the performance of the machine to the style of fishing the team did. We reached plane speed in shallow water 45ft for a little while. The bottom held solid and we certainly saw definition in the bottom structure. At trolling speeds around 8knts the bottom also showed good detail in the depth of water that we were working. I wish I had some photos for you but i don't have any to post. The product is still relatively new and the more units we get out there the more feedback we will have for you.

With bottom tracking, a lot of the performance of any fish finder is a direct result where and how the transducer was mounted. Some installations may perform at a higher level at faster speeds due to the water flow over the transducer. Some may have a great experience and some may have a poor experience at high and slow speed metering. Please keep in mind that does not necessarily mean the sounder is of poor quality or not working correctly. As a wise man once told me: "The transducer is the heart and soul of any fishfinder, without one of good quality and a good installation, the brain (processor) may not perform at a high level."

Please stay in touch and we should have more experience in the near future.

Best Regards,

C-Bass

Back