Replace GD-1720C & FCV 620 combo w/GP1870F ?

paterbil

The 1720C & 620 combination works well, allowing for a dedicated fishfinder.

The problem is mostly my eyes, I would like a bigger screen and also the updated charts.

The GP1870F seems like a nice upgrade, and I am asking just how close to 'plug & play' it would be to:

1. pull both the 1720C & 620, and just install the 1870F or

2. pull the 1720C, install the 1870F, and keep the 620.

I have a through hull transducer, and would prefer not to change it.

The decision will be based on the ease of any exchange of the units, and the improvement which results. Obviously, I will have to judge the value to me.

Thanks in advance for any hard knowledge, practical advice and opinions.

Paterbil,
The FCV-620 was 600 watt machine and you can set the GP-1870 to output 600 watts. Both sounders used the same transducer connector so that won't be a problem. If you know the model number of the transducer we can see if is in the list of transducers that will do Bottom Discrimination.

Snips

Don't know if you went with the 1870f, FYI the unit only supports C-Map 4D. And with C-Map see if you could preview the chip to get an idea how it is in your area. The chip might not have everything you need.

I have a FCV-600L that has worked extremely well for many years. But my boat stays on my lift and the stern faces south so the sun has pretty well baked the screen. Unless Furuno still supports the 600L and could "fix" the screen so it is visible again, it appears as though my best bet into get a 620 which uses the same transducer cable connection but needs a different power cord. Since my McKee Craft is a sandwich/cored construction similar to Boston Whalers, it would be helpful not having to change out the transducer. The power cord would not be difficult to replace. Are my assumptions correct?

Back