FCV 1900 on R509

Nick

Furuno Super Fan
Hi,
Have a few questions for FCV1900G.
I would like to buy FCV1900G, because that fish sizing is very interesting. I have Airmar R509LH installed already. Is it possible to connect this transducer? AccuFish and fish sizing will work properly or?

Also, because R509 is too narrow for some shallow water applications, as I understood, it is possible to connect some digital Furuno blackbox fish finder with some wide chirp transducer, for example. So, my questions are: is it possible somehow to view all four channels simultaneously on screen (or two screens maybe, I don't know)?, and what about interference? Are the FCV transceivers synchronized with blackbox transceivers?

Thanks
Nick

Nick,
How long ago did you purchase your R-509? The reason I ask this question is because the early production R-509's weren't programed to output the unique RVR/TVR values of the transducer. These values are used in the 1900's fish sizing algorithm. However the 1900 does have a manual correction for fish sizing. As far as a synchronized key pulse when connected to another T/R module I can check for you when I return to my office next week.

Snips

Thanks, R509 purchased before year and half, something like that. I have read that it is possible to calibrate the size of the fish, but I can enter RVR and TVR manually? Also, as far as I understand there is no way to view all the four channels simultaneously on the screen, (from FCV1900 and external Furuno fish finder) so, there should be another Furuno MFD connected, and I would like, for example, connect NN3D MFD12, (I have that one), black box Furuno fish finder and FCV1900 transceiver by LAN over Hub of course. I suppose that this configuration can work simultaneously and interference free (if it's synchronized over LAN)?

Thanks
Nick

Nick,
No you can't enter the TVR/RVR values manually. You need to enter the TVR/RVR values into a formula which will give you a calibration value which is entered (see below). You can view four channels on the 1900 however I need to confirm that the screen advance on all four displays will be at the same rate.

Snips

Attachments

• Cal.JPG
    Cal.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 3,403
So, as I understand it's possible to view all four channels simultaneously at one screen? Wonderful news! Thank You for this info. I'm planning to connect R509 on FCV1900 and DFF1-UHD with PM275LH-W connect to LAN port. I suppose that the fish size histogram is available for R509 only? Please, when You find picture advance speed info, just let me know. Thank You!

Nick,
I have spent some time over the last couple of days with the 1900. First the 1900 will only interface with the DFF1, DFF3 or BBDS1. So at this time there is on connection to the DFF1-UHD. Yes you can display all four channels at the same time. However since both the DFF1 and BBDS1 are single channel machines (they alternate 50 and 200Khz) the screen movement (advance) is slowed when displaying both channels of the DFF1/BBDS1. If displaying only one of the DFF1/BBDS1 channels the screen advance is at the same rate. One other thing to note is that you can adjust the range on all the channel individually. When set the same, the screen advance between the channels is equal. If not, the screen advances at different rates.

Snips

Snips, thank You for Your info. Now I know that is a possible to connect R509 LH on FCV1900 transceiver, and with a proper calibration fish sizing will work. Now I know that is a possible to connect single line Furuno black box fishfinders You mentioned and the picture advance speed will be slower. So, on external fish finder chirp is not possible yet. I understand all, but I would like an advice from you because I don't know which external fish finder to connect. The application is professional, 30 meters wooden fishing vessel hunting sardines and anchovies 90% of the time. Hunting depths are from 50 to 180 metres depends on season. Because that shallow 50-70 metres fishing (3 month's duration) I think that R509 will not show so much fish specially because in that time fish is suspended around 40 metres. That is a reason why I would like to have much more wider beams. Seems that the FCV1900 is a wonderful machine but that possibility for external fishfinder connection make this even better, but my question is now; which one? I would like wide angle on both channels, because something like that is wonderful to estimate between anchovies and sardines. Please, can You advice me which transducer and external fishfinder?

Thanks
Nick

Also, I'm not sure about interference. Now I know that will be chirp and standard pulse mode at the same time, from my experience it must be interferences more or less. You know, fishermen don't like interference rejection too much, and we are not sure that interference even be rejected on this way, so I would like to have possibility to synchronize. The worst thing is that the Koden KDS6000 is installed also, so synchronized equipment is important. As I understood FURUNO offer some kits for external synchronization like options? My opinion is that the interference can disturb fish sizing function also, and I would like to set up this right.
Thanks
Nick

Nick,
The FCV-1900G uses both frequencies to size fish, so the limiting depth factor is the 200khz side. We have found that it works the best under 100fm (200m) for fish sizing.

Snips

Ok, thank You, just one question for fish sizing. Do You know, is that fish sizing function works from raw data, I mean is that function independent of TVG, gain, clutter rejections....? Thanks

Nick,
Yes it works off the raw returns. What we have seen that can affect its accuracy is how densely the fish are schooled and if there are any feed layers in the water column.

Snips

Robertss,
It really depends on what version of SW that the 1900G is using. The earlier versions of SW didn't read the TID of the transducer. Also some the R-509LH didn't output the TID information.

Snips

Back