DFF-3D

MikeR13

Furuno Super Fan
Hey gang Im looking to add a DFF-3D to my current TZT system that includes two screens and one transducer being the DFF1-UHD. My question is do you think its worth plugged one of each transducer into the Tzts and then just stop the transmitting from the controls in the units? I have never had two transducers for one system before. I don't know if this is the right forum for this but when I installed my DFF1-UD i replaced my DFF1 and 258 Transom mount transducer. Im looking to sell the unit and was curious what the best forum is.

You can only have two sounders on your network. It is okay to have the UHD and the 3D sounders on the same network as long as you set them up properly. You can't transmit them both at the same time without causing interference. Turning off transmit as you plan would work.

Would setting them up be more than having one transducer connected to each unit? Can I basically run radar, fish finder, map, etc and flip flop them on each unit? Hopefully that makes sense. :D When is the DFF3d due to be released? I had my dealer look for it and they had nothing so Im assuming it hasnt been released or at least in Canada.

They are setup with one transducer for each sounder. Either display can access either sounder, at anytime. You should only allow one unit to transmit at a time. You can control the transmit and which sounder you are looking at via the software settings at each respective MFD unit.

Thanks! I have seen some of the competitors side scan, etc which operates at a higher frequency so Im assuming with a much lower frequency for deeper water will be much better. How do you think the unit will be in freshwater like the Great Lakes where I fish in 100ft.

Secondly, I currently have a transom mount transducer for my chirp dff1-uhd. Should I be looking at the transom mount or the thru hull and make a box for the transducer to sit in and then mount to transom. I have an aluminum boat with twins 200's on it. Just looking for best possible situation.

At the current time the thru-hull won't work for your aluminum hull because we only have the bronze version. That means you would need to go with the transom version.

From our early testing the DFF3D works great in anything 1000ft and under. The photos I have seen at the 100ft level were fantastic.

I have purchased the unit and the transom mount transducer. In regards to mounting, i have twin engines so I'm assuming optimum mount location would be between mounts towards lowest point of hull and transom?

MikeR13,
Can you post a picture of the transom so we can take a look?

Snips

IMG_1708.jpgIMG_1711.JPGHere is a couple of pictures of the transom of my boat. As you can see the chirp transducer is mounted along with two other small backups. Those two are being removed. If you need more photos let me know

MikeR13,
Thanks for the pictures.
If the two transducers on the right are going to be replaced I would mount the DFF3-3D ducer where the outer transducer (paddle wheel) was. I would get the face of the DFF3-3D the same depth as the B-258. You want to make sure that the two transducers are far enough apart that they don't pinch the water flow going between them.

Snips

So if i remove both of those and mount towards the edge of the bracket thats welded on my transom i should be ok. There would be over 3" between transducers

MikeR13,
The TM-265 and DFF3-3D transducers are pretty close to the same size and shape, about 4.25" wide. If you have them 3" apart means you will have turbulence water flow at higher speeds. As you move though the water a transducer is going to split the flow of water around it, so 2.125" + 2.125"= 4.25" of disrupted water trying to pass through a 3" gap. I understand you have a limited space to work with so do the best you can.

Snips

I can probably just weld another plate onto the transom and attach the new 3d transducer to it to spread out the distance between them. But I understand what your talking about.

Nick,

Sorry, Currently at this time there are no plans in the works to integrate the DFF3D with a NN3D System. :noway

Deep Blue - :(

I was watching one of the online videos from Furuno regarding the3d transducer. It was communicated that if I had a dff1 or a minimum of a 600 watt transducer I could run both that unit and the 3 d at the same time? Prior to installing my chirp that I currently use I had a ddf1 and a tm258. Would the 258 would in conjunction with the 3d? I am adding the 3d and a tzt2 to my system

Will i be able to run the 258 and the 3d at the same time? In one of the videos on you tube is says you can run another transducer on a dff1 with the 3d. Is that correct?

Mike,

With what you have available, you can do a number of different things:

1. You can run a DFF1/TM258 at the same time as the DFF3D. Matter of fact, you can have them both on your TZT2 screen at the same time.

2. You can do away with the DFF1 and connect your TM258 directly up to the TZT2 transducer port. This will also allow you to run the DFF3D at the same time. This would be my recommendation because it removes the DFF1 from your network. The DFF1 is not needed since your TZT2 already has a great sounder built in.

To make sure we are clear though, the one thing you cannot do is transmit a DFF1-UHD and DFF3D at the same time because as the DFF1-UHD "chirps" across the frequency band, it will interfere with the 165kHz of the DFF3D. You can have them both on the same network, you just have to ensure while one is in transmit the other is in STBY. This is the setup I am running on my boat and it works great. From time to time I do forget to put one or the other in STBY and you realize it right away when you see the noise on the sounder screen. When it happens, I just put one of the two units in STBY and the problem is solved.

Stickman

Stickman, thanks for your information. What size fuse do you have in your 711 C autopilot? I have a 10 AMP in there now. I am in the process of hooking up the TZT2 and the dff3d. Are both your transducers transom mounts?

Back