FCV 295, transducer to find bottom fish

O

Oetgreen

Hello!

I have FCV 295 onboard and old 50kHz transducer, and necessity to detect fish lying on the bottom on 20-60m depth. Tell me plz, what transducer to choose. Does HF Chirp transducer good for this purpos?

Thanks!

Ostgreen,
Thank you for your question. What is the size your vessel and what is its top speed?

Snips

Hello Snips!

The vessel is 15m Stell Stern Trawler (30tn draught), top speed is 7knt, usual speed 3knt. The transducer will be holded on transom in the bow of the ship.

Thanks

Oetgreen,
I am confused by what you mean by "The transducer will be holded on transom in the bow of the ship"

Do you have a picture that shows how the current transducer is mounted?

Snips

Like on the picture, but the vessel is little bigger.

Attachments

• Tetra-Tech-Survey-Vessel.jpg
    Tetra-Tech-Survey-Vessel.jpg
    559.8 KB · Views: 3,079
I have read that FCV 295 is working great with B275 chirp tranducer.
Will i have any advantages using B275 or TM260 is better for my purpose?

Or may be it is better for me to buy the normal CHIRP sounder?
Will the DFF1-UHD show me the much more bottom fich?

Thanks Snips!

Oetgreen,
The FCV-295 paired with a B-275 is a nice combination. The advantage that the B-275 has over the B-260 is that the HF side has a much wider beam angle, better for looking at mid water fish down to 40fm. I don't have any direct comparison screen shots but maybe the ones below might help. The DFF1-UHD was using a B-275 and the TZT2 was using a B-260. The main advantage the UHD will have over the FCV-295 is being able to better separate targets vertically.

Snips

Attachments

• UHD.JPG
    UHD.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 3,054
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 3,055
Hello Snips! Thank you for the previous answer.

Can you clarify some things for me:
1. Will there be a difference in B275 and B260 transducer with FCV295 especially to find fish close to the bottom. Which is better for this purpose.

2. Will the Chirp DFF1-UHD with B275 give me better bottom fish detection than FCV295 with B275 or B260.

3. Can I get any adwantages with DFF-3D tripple beam for bottom fish detection.

Which setup is best for me ?

I will remind: the depth is 100 - 200ft (20-60m).
And it is not necessarily for transducer to have "Transom mount", we can make auxiliary bracket for non transom unit if needed.

Thank you!

Oetgreen,
The answer to question one, I would probably lean towards the B-260 because is it's narrow beam width on the HF side.
Question two, the UHD will do better.
Question three, because of the TVG curve it is easier for any multi-beam sounder to detect fish that are in the mid water than close to the bottom off to the side.

If you already have a display I would go with the UHD and 275.

Snips

Snips, thanks you!

One more question:
Which transducer with UHD will be better for bottom fishing on 200ft - B265 with narrow beam on HF, or B275

Thanks!

Oetgreen,
Here is what the HF side will look like at the same gain setting.

Snips

Attachments

• #11.jpg
    #11.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 1,111
Hello Snips.

Finally I have bought and installed DFF1-UHD and B265.

After connecting everything and turning on I have some problems.

1. When turning AccuFish ON, sounder begin making noise like a silent clicks. A lot of noise appers on LF Screen. There are no arcs, only stripes on screen.

2. When turning Bottom Discrimination ON obtaining that is on screen below.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    386 KB · Views: 1,056
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    400.5 KB · Views: 1,055
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    378.5 KB · Views: 1,055
The ship is at the pier in the river.

Transducer B256LH is fully immersed under water on depth of 1m. (Attached to a metall pipe)

No ground connected to dff1-uhd.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    379.4 KB · Views: 1,054
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    399.6 KB · Views: 1,054
Ostgreen,
When you use either the AF and BD modes it will change how your fish targets will look. Something can watch for yourself is by going full screen 50Khz with both the AF or BD modes off, stay full screen 50Khz and then turn on the BD mode. As you can see in the screen shot below the difference it will make on the water column targets. As far as the noise goes, UHD is really sensitive to external noise sources. Grounding is very important and we have found in some cases that shields from the LF and HF transducers need to be attached to the metal cable clamp instead of pins 3 & 6 in the orange WAGO connector.

Snips

Attachments

• BD on.JPG
    BD on.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,024
Back