Fcv295 and R111LH

Force26

Hi, wanted to know if anyone is running the fcv295 with R111LH transducer. Have the setup now but can't seem to get it setup right. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Deep drop at about 100-160 fa. And also troll for tuna. Using tap B for low, and tap C for high. Not sure of the tx pulse and Rx settings.

Thanks

Force26,
To be clear, you are using an in-hull (not wet faced) transducer with the FCV-295?

Snips

Force26,
Thanks for confirming that. Lets cover the basics first. The high frequency uses the solid Blue and Black wires they should be going to pins 1 & 3 of the HF transducer plug. The low frequency using the Blue and Black with a white stripe. They go to pins 1 & 3 of the LF transducer plug. On the tap setting plugs, the jumper should go between the "blank" to B, not A to B or A to C. If that is correct do this test. At the dock set the 295 at a 50 or 60ft range and then turn both gains to 10, does the display turn completely red?

Snips

Force26,
Darn. If all of the connections are correct then there is really not much more you will be able to do settings wise. I trust you have the TX Power set to 10 , TX Rate to 20 and are using a 1/1 screen advance. I don't know if your installation would allow you to take the transducer out of it's yellow mounting enclosure and hang it over the side of the vessel. I think you would be surprised to see the performance difference.

Snips

furuno.jpg
Hi Snips,

Havent gone out yet but here is pic at about 60 fa. I usually deep bottom at anywhere from 100-200 fa. i had the machine set up with ONLY the low freq. (High disconnected) so i ran dual screen (H/L0) with both on same freq, and all same settings. i was surprised to see two diffrent screen shots with the low showing deeper red bottom contour compared to the high. is there a reason for this? Also, what should the settings be for tx and rx pulse, etc. I also run gain on manual and also have gain turned down -5 in the settings menu.. Thanks again!

Force26,
Do you mean you went into the Calibration menu and reset the LF gain to -5? There is really no reason to do that, that menu just presets the front panel gain. Thanks for the screen shot, if possible next time please take a shot showing the full screen. What I don't see in your display is any blues or greens so I am curious what your other settings are. At this point I would go into the system menu and default all the setting. I would then make sure you reset the TX Power to 10 and TX Rate to 20.

Snips

First pic is at the boat ramp. L 42 and H 135. Second pic at 154 Fa. Set at H 42.
All at factory reset

Attachments

• 2017-03-12 15.15.23.jpg
    2017-03-12 15.15.23.jpg
    752.4 KB · Views: 2,197
just wondering why on 2nd pic the screen loses color and shows black.

Attachments

• 20170310_151112.jpg
    20170310_151112.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 2,188
Force26,
It is not uncommon for those blank areas to appear when you are changing to a deeper range or using the shift function (see below). This is because the sounders memory only records what it sees on that range. For example if you have the range set from 0 to 50ft then change to 0 to 100 you will see a blank area from 50ft to 100ft appear under your original 0 to 50ft range. This blank area will disappear as the screen advances.

Your first screen shot is very telling in the amount of signal loss you are experiencing.

Snips

Attachments

• NN4 Snapshot 2013-02-15-19-59-30.png
    NN4 Snapshot 2013-02-15-19-59-30.png
    437.4 KB · Views: 2,186
Sorry snips, but am i getting the max power, 2K, with the tap settings given?
If 2K is for both H and L freq, why are tap settings different?

Force26,
The Tap settings are mainly based on the impendence of the transducers elements. For the R111LH you are using the correct settings, "B" for the LF side and "C" the HF side.

Even though you are using a 2Kw transducer you are in reality are only getting a fraction of that power being returned to the transducer, remember you are losing both sending and receiving.

Below is a comparison that I have posted a couple times before illustrating the performance loss that can happen when using in-hull transducers. The 2Kw 28Khz should have easily outperformed the 1Kw 50Khz, but as you can see it was no contest.

I wish I had some magic settings I could give you but I don't, sorry.

Snips

Attachments

• In vs. out.jpg
    In vs. out.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 2,185
Snips, what would be the best transducer match-up for the fcv295. I will be pole mounting on the transom. Thanks for your help!

Force26,
You already have a good transducer. Just take it out of it's yellow housing and mount it on a pole. But before you do, go out one more time to a known location and take a screen shot of what the sounder currently looks like (both frequencies). Then when you have it mounted on a pole go back to the same location and compare the results with the same settings.

Snips

Back