FCV 588 Tuning

B

BlueWolf

Hi guys,

I’ve just bought a FCV 588 with a P66 plastic transom mount and I would like to tune it in order to have an optimal performance.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, the major processing features are:
Gain
Clutter
Color Erase
TVG
TX Rate

What is the right sequence of setting for the above features? I read somewhere that you must set everything on Off mode and start setting the Gain, then the Clutter, then the Color Erase and finally the TVG.

Could someone help me to tune my Furuno sounder with a short description of each processing feature?

Thanks in advance for any input or advice!

BlueWolf,
Everybody tunes their sounder a little differently.
I try to keep things simple so I will leave the TVG set at medium, TX power at 10 and TX Rate at 10. I will adjust the range (as needed), Gain until I see clutter (then a little more) then after you start seeing fish targets I will use enough of the clutter control to clean up the display but still leave the fish targets. The last control would be color erase if needed.

Hope this helps.

Snips

Dear Snips,

What about Interference should it be on Auto mode? Also, do you use the White Line and if yes on what %?

Thanks in advance for any input or advice!

BlueWolf,
I only use the Interference rejecter if I need to. The White Line function is useful when fish are tight to the bottom.

Snips

Flaminghedgehog,

I’m aware about this guide and I found it very useful. In addition, I bought the book below and I hope to become wiser about the tuning.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 11,912
With my vx2/DFF1 there are a couple of settings that still mystify me. TVG I understand but can't seem to get all the settings to cooperate in manual. Over 100' I have issues with getting a good bottom pic even with gains over 55. Whoever I've done even in auto in deeper water like 250' on 50 kHz it can't get bottom lock or reasonably paint fish. I believe this is all operator error but have a strong bottom fishing background so this new sounder is rough on me. Can anyone give a hand?

Captainsdc,
Can you post a couple of screen shots so I can see what you mean? Also can you let me know your settings and what transducer you are using?

Snips

I'll get out today and take some pics. The deeper water is where it starts to show the poor picture. In the harbor is works great.
I know I kinda highjacked this thread title to vx2...
Scott

these are the settings ive used with my fcv 587/588 fishing from 20-100 metres on HF using p66 trans mainly looking for ground and fish on the bottom in south west coast of australia ,hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_1901.JPG
    IMG_1901.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 11,625
Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out why I can't fill up the screen with clutter when I have the gain up to 10.

I fish in 60-100m and I have the following settings:
-TVG: Medium
-TX Rate: MAX
-Gain ADJ HF: 0

What should I try to change?

Thanks in advance.

BlueWolf,
What transducer are you using? Also is it both frequencies or only 200 KHz?

Snips

Snips,

I have the P66 and I fish using only the 200KHz frequency.

BlueWolf,
I don't know if you should be able to saturate the receiver using a P-66 at a 100m. Honestly I have never tried. Below is the deepest screen shot I have using a P-66 on 200Khz. If you set the sounder to a higher range do you see a second echo?

Snips

Attachments

• DSCN5969.JPG
    DSCN5969.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,096
Snips,

A friend of mine told me to set the parameters as the photo below in order to be able to fill up the screen with clutter when I have the gain up to 10.

What is your opinion about that?

Thanks

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    1,008.6 KB · Views: 1,094
BlueWolf,
I really don't have any details so it's hard to offer an opinion on his settings.

If you are concerned that your 588 isn't performing like his I would take your sounder over to his boat and try his settings using his transducer.

Snips

Back