Best combo for hard bottom

B

Blaster1

I am interested in a bottom machine and transducer that will show the bottom hardness (tails)I have had two chirp systems from other manufacturers.I have read that the low Q transducers will not show the tails.I a have owned the 582L,585 with a 526hdd.Also a 295 with a B265HL.I want to be able to determine hard bottom.Was thinking a 588 or TZT2?? What transducer?Was Looking at your tank mount.Will that allow me to mount it in hull?We fish the Gulf of Mexico bottom fishing in 50-175ft.What would be my best option,regardless of transducer styles. Boat is a 33 power cat..30 mph.Thanks Capt.Mike

Capt. Mike,
If you are judging the hardness/softness of the seabed by solely using the tail of the primary return we have found that the more a transducer "rings" the better tail you will see. Testing has shown the higher "Q" transducers tend to ring longer than lower "Q" ones.
If you are looking at either the FCV-588 or TZT2 I would look at either the CA50/200-1T or the CA50/200-12M using a MB-1100 (matching box). I don't recommend in-hull transducers.

Snips

Will the the CA50/200 12m work with a power cat?Does it have a faring?Thanks Capt.Mike

Capt. Mike,
The CA50/200-12M doesn't have pre-made fairing. However with the aid a Dremel tool I have used the fairing from a B-260. I have also had a few folks that have created recessed pockets for them on Cat hulls.

Snips

Snips,I have an extra B260 faring,so that's cool.With CA 50/200 12M what is the "Q"?Have not see any specs.Can you give me the spec on that transducer.thank you Capt.Mike

Capt. Mike,
Good question.
Unfortunately the "Q" factor is not part of a Furuno's transducer documentation. So to say the CA50/200-12M has a certain "Q" of "X" would be pure conjecture on my part. However below are a couple of comparison screen shots that might be helpful.

Snips

Attachments

• Q.JPG
    Q.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 2,819
Snips,I have not decided on a TZT2 or a 588.I have a mix and match M260 I want to try before I get the CA 50/200 12M.What is the part # for the mix match cable for the Tzt2 or 588 to a M260.Thank you Mike

Capt. Mike,
Does your M-260 have a 10-pin plug or is it just bare wires? If it has a 10-pin plug it is a direct connection to either sounder. If you have just bare wire you will need to use the MB-1100. Just know that the M-260 is not in either sounders transducer data base.

Snips

Snips,I guess it is a 10 pin,it's not bare wires.Will the M260 work?What would I choose in the menu? I am having a hard time finding ding a installer locally to do the CA 50/200 in a custom faring.I might have to get a table saw and do it myself.thanks Mike

Capt. Mike,
When you say M-260, I want to confirm you are talking about the in-hull version of the B-260 correct? If you want to try it I would set it for the 526TID, however even though you set it up for that transducer it is not going to improve its performance. No setting on the sounder can over come the signal loss of a in-hull ducer.

If you need a fairing block for the CA50/200-12M a slightly modified one for a Airmar B-260 will work.

Snips

Snips,Just ordered the 50/200 12M..excited to get it installed. Couple of questions on the display.I read somewhere that guys are having trouble withTZT2 in depth under 5ft.It's shallow in SW Florida.In the bottom zoom can you go to 5ft like the 585 I had?I also had the 295 and the lowest bottom zoom was 10ft..Can I plug the NXT radar in the back of a TZT2 or?? For software updates can I do them wireless from the dock with a Internet connection?What kind of charts come I a TZT2? THANKS Mike

I'm going to use it in 50 to 200ft, for bottom fish thanks

Capt. Mike,
The NXT radar has a Ethernet connection, if you only have one network device yes it will connect direct to the TZT2. The NOAA Vector/Raster charts for the US are included as well as a few Satellite and fishing charts. You can add/delete charts from the SD card that aren't in your area if you want. As far as updating the system, yes you can do it via the wireless but I prefer to down load the update at home and take a USB jump drive to the vessel.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Snips

Snips,Got my transducer and matching box today.Getting TXTL12 on Wednesday. I'm concerned on the faring from the B260.I had herd it would need some trimming with a dremmel tool.Not the case.The B260 faring is much larger.How would I go about filling all the gaps? Thanks Capt.Mike

Capt. Mike,
Have you tried fitting the 12M into the fairing block? On mine I needed to use a Dremel tool to nip and tuck the inside of the fairing since the 12M has a little different profile than the B-260. Not a big deal I found. Also you will find that the 12M is not as thick as a B-260 so you will need a few spacers (I used plastic) so the face of the 12M is flush with the face of the fairing. Last, you will have some gaps to fill in. I just used regular silicone for filler, you could use 5200 I guess but I didn't have any handy.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Snips

Snips, Got faring cut and dry fit.I glued some plastic spacers to get transducer up flush with faring.Going to fill gaps tomorrow with a 3M product called scotch weld 8010.Which way does transducer go in faring?There is no arrow.Does it matter?There is just a yellow sticker on one side by the stem?Thanks Capt.Mike

Thanks Snips.Wanted to double check my connections from the CA 50/200 12M to the MBA 1100.
Shield to #1
Black to #2
Blue to #3
Green to #4
Red to #5
Is this correct?
Can I register on line for my TXTL 12 warranty? Thanks Capt.Mike

Capt. Mike,
Your wiring is correct.
Yes you can register online, just go back to the support page and you will see a product registration section about half way down the page.

Snips

Thanks snips.Had the equiptment on a charter yesterday.All I can say is WOW.. I was running 27 mpr in a 2-3 ft chop.Perfect picture.Two questions.Can I run my TXTL in full screen zoom? When I use bottom zoom,can I adjust the split page size?Can I make the zoomed section larger and the regular side smaller?I know you can just stay on a regular screen and shift the range.I haven't figured it out yet though.Basically want to see the last 15ft..bottom fishing..and not have to constantly be shifting my range. What is the best way to do this?Also would like to post a few pictures of the install.Can't figure out how to do so.Thanks Capt.Mike

Back