1850DF fish finder not marking fish??

A

Anonymous

Hello i am hoping someone can help me with my 1850DF. I know its an older unit but would love to be able to figure out how to use the fish finder capability. The GPS/ChartPlotter functions work great, but i can't seem to mark fish. I have adjusted the gain, depth range, set it to fishing mode versus cruising mode, etc. but don't see images like i saw on the pics Snips posted on a 1650 forum. I've got the airmar p66 transducer that came on the 2002 boat when i bought it recently that shows speed, depth, temp. This is the right one correct? Am i doing something wrong that is simple or are there a few things i can try as i want to get my son more interested fishing and catching versus cruising.Should i have it set at 50 or 200 or does that matter? :sorry I'm usually in less than 300 feet of water looking for anything over the wrecks or reefs in s fla. I appreciate anything to assist here as i've downloaded the manual, but can't seem to get it worked out. thx again
kevin

Kevin,
Next time out take a screen shot using both frequencies so I can see what you are seeing.

Snips

Sure will Snips. Thanks for the reply. Hope to get out this weekend.

Snips I took a couple pics yesterday on the water. I'm not sure the pic attached. You can see something marking in about 130 feet right? My screen is usually just blank or all blue. Was this a fish? How can I tell? I assume so and thought fish show up with a couple difft colors don't they? Haven't really figured this sounder thing out as you can see but want to start using it versus just blind trolling or anchoring so any tips are appreciated. Not sure if I was in 50 or 200 here so sorry about that we got rushed. I tweaked the gain back and forth and think it was about 25-30 on this shot. I manually adjusted the depth hoping that would be more accurate also as we trolled. I need to be slow cruising or drifting for it to be able to mark what's below don't i? Didn't think it would work if I was cruising 20 mph so let me know. I appreciate any tips you can offer.

Pursuit2470wpb,
Where was no screen shot attached but if you had the gain in the 25-30 range that probably it. Below are a couple screen shots showing the gain setting on the Navnet/BBFF1 using a 600w and 1kw transducers. Sounds like the right side of the second screen shot is very close to what you are describing, bottom but no fish. In the first picture using a 600w transducer, I adjusted the gain until I had a reasonable display. In the second picture I was using a 1kw transducer so I didn't need as high of gain setting and I also adjusted the clutter to clean up the display. After I got clean fish targets I plugged the 600w transducer back in and got a nice bottom but almost zero fish targets. Try more gain.

Snips

Attachments

• NavNet #2.JPG
    NavNet #2.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 1,718
  • NavNet #3.JPG
    NavNet #3.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 1,718
Thanks for the info. I'll try using more gain next week and see what I get and will let you know. Thanks again.

Snips- i think i had the pic size too big and now have attached 2 pics. Sorry for the fuzziness. You'll see one pic where an image is there around 130 feet or so and the next pic is just blank. do you still think i need to turn that gain up per your last message to get more images to load? I noticed your fish pics had red in them, but the one image i had show up was just blue. any reason for that? also note that the bottom shows red on the second pic, but blue on the first. any reason for that or is this also related to gain setting? thx again for your help.
kevin

Attachments

• photo (32).JPG
    photo (32).JPG
    421 KB · Views: 1,711
  • photo (31).JPG
    photo (31).JPG
    398.9 KB · Views: 1,711
Pursuit2470wpb,
It look like you are using 200Khz. Try 50Khz with more gain next time out.

Snips

Snips I went out Saturday and took a couple pics. Lots of sun so sorry about that. I used 50hz and turned gain up to around 70. I'm in about 63 feet here and my question is - is the red , green and yellow markings above the red bottom fish schools of some sort or is that interference in your opinion? Trying to get a better understanding on how to use the info shown to catch fish. There's an awful lot of stuff suspended over the bottom as you can see. Let me know your thoughts. Thx.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,632
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,632
Pursuit2470wpb,
It is hard to tell much with the glare but at least you now have targets to look at. The next step is to adjust your range to a more proper scale. If you are in 63ft a 150ft is to deep, 100ft is good but 75ft is better. A gain of 70 is probably to high but it is to hard tell. Next time out try to have the bottom at the bottom third of the display. As far as the gain goes turn it up until you start seeing mid water targets then increase it five more clicks. Post a couple of those screen shots.

Snips

Snips I noticed yesterday when I was coming in shallow the range option went from 400' and the next option was 1000'. Is there any way to customize that for a better view. Im not positive on the capability of my transducer but doubt it even reads at 1000'? Your thoughts? Thx

Pursuit2470wpb,
Yes you can reset all the ranges to better suit your local waters. If you still have the manual you will find it in Section 11-8, but below is how you access the menu.

Snips

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 2,121
Hello there. couple quick questions i hope you can lend some expertise-- i have a p66 ducer for my 1850f. how deep will this one read? is it 800-1200' using 50hz and 400-700' using 200hz? I'm trying to see if i need a better ducer like a 1kw for when i go to west end in june to deep drop. i've never done deep drop fishing before but know theres fish in 500-700' there from what i've been told but the bigger fish may be in 1000' or deeper. can this p66 decipher hard and soft bottom in 1000' in your opinion? also when tilefishing here in west palm i hear i need to find mud. will mud show up as a thin red line correct versus the thick red line which is hard bottom? would i use 50 hz or 200 hz? thx for the help.
kevin

Pursuit2470wpb,
If you plan the fish in that depth I would recommend looking at the 526TID-HDD.

Snips

Thx for the quick response. Will mine not read at all in those depths? And is the ducer you mentioned only offered as a thru hull? I'd prefer to not put a thru hull in if I can get one that works well as a transom mount. Thx and let me know.

pursuit2470wpb,
You "may" be able to see bottom with your current 600w transducer but not fish targets or hard/soft at depth. The transducer that Melville recommended is OK but you are pushing the limits and that is why a B-260 would be in order. If you need a transom mount look at the TM-260.

Snips

Back