CH300 Train error

Nick

Furuno Super Fan
Hi,

When CH300 dual-frequency searchlight sonar is powered up, the message "TRAIN ERROR" "CHECK THE HULL UNIT" appears on display with alarm sound.

The unit is new, under warranty.

The installation is OK, under the test menu train pulses are different for each test count (I suppose that the "test count" is one revolution of azimuth (train) motor). From a manual, it is easy to see that the train pulses should be 359, but something like this I never seen on this unit.

What can be wrong?

Thanks

Nick,
When you power up a CH-300 it goes though a quick self-test. Part of this test is checking the training portion of the sound dome via a photo interrupter. The sonar will train the sound dome in one direction until it sees the signal from the PI when trains it back the other direction. It knows how many pulses it should take to rotate the sound dome 360 degrees and if it doesn't see the PI activate within a certain window of pulses you see a "Train NG" on the display. This "Train NG" is never a good sign because most of the time there is water in the sound dome. Please note that the sound dome is shipped with a packing sponge that needs to be removed so the transducer can freely rotate, if this wasn't removed when the sound dome oil was added it can prevent proper rotation and thus cause the "Train NG" error to appear.

Snips

Snips,

Thank You for reply and brief explanation of the CH300 start-up sequence. I removed packing spunge, and transducer freely rotate and that is not a problem. Everything is so clear in the installation manual, and I checked installation a few times. I spoken with some people and everybody told me that the problem is in soundome, or if I can be more precise in the train motor. I must say that I never accepted such opinions based on experience, because I`m an engineer and I like measurments not expirience. :)

So, because the unit is under warranty we sent the soundome in authorized Furuno service, they tested the sondome and-------the soundome is OK!? :think

I can say that I never had any problem on any Furuno equipment under warranty but this sonar drives me crazy. (I`m repairing and installing a marine equipment more than 15 Years).

I don`t have CH300 service manual, but as I can see from installation manual on the hull unit in control box on PCB 06P0243 is some train signal conversion from soundome train pulses TRP1, 2, 3, 4 to train pulses TRM 1 (H,C), and TRM 2 (H,C). I did`t have an oscilloscope, but the problem (maybe) is on the 06P0243 PCB.

I checked the cable between hull unit and transceiver unit and that is OK.

So, it can be or 06P0243 or transceiver (processor) unit.
Am I right?

Thanks

Nick,
The soundome uses two stepper motors, one for training the other for tilting. While there is always a possiblity that this is a processor problem it would be the first one we have seen that causes this type of error message. Could it be the drive board? If the sonar was turned on without the soundome connected there is no load for the output FET's which could have weaken them. However, unless water damaged, these drive boards have been pretty darn reliable. There is an LED that light ups in the hoist control box when the PI is tripped, if that signal doesn't make it to the processor that can trigger the error message. Barring that we have fly-away-kits available to our dealers for troubleshooting.

Snips

Snips":2wfwsw2p said:
Nick,
Could it be the drive board? If the sonar was turned on without the soundome connected there is no load for the output FET's which could have weaken them. However, unless water damaged, these drive boards have been pretty darn reliable.
Snips

Thank You Snip, I`m very appreciating Your help. The sonar is never turned on without transducer, and there is no water inside. Seems that the problem is in drive board. I had opportunity to connect drive board on the correct CH300 sonar. I simply replaced two drive boards. When the suspicious drive board connected, same alarm message appeared. So, this drive board isn`t OK. Now it is all clear. :jump

Thanks
Nick

Back