Changing input voltage on a FCV 292

A

Anonymous

I recently bought a FCV 292(new in box by the way) and when looking over the papers that came with it there was a receipt from Furuno Denton Maryland stating
"moved jumper in power supply from 12V to 24V position".
My question is how do i move the jumper back to 12V position as my boat has a 12V system. also will a Airmar B-256 transducer work with the 292 ?

Hello steveinak,

To change the input voltage to 12VDC, you need to open the FCV292 and gain access to the Main PCB. This board is locate on the right side of the display, as you are looking at it from the front.

To do this properly, you would need to remove the Main PCB from the display and desolder a jumper from one location and then resolder it in another location.

This is something that is best left to a technician who is familiar with working on this type of equipment.

If you go to the Furuno USA website, www.furunousa.com, you can find a list of dealers in your area that would be able to perform this modificaiton for you.

Hurricane

Hello steveinak,

To change the input voltage to 12VDC, you need to open the FCV292 and gain access to the Main PCB. This board is locate on the right side of the display, as you are looking at it from the front.

To do this properly, you would need to remove the Main PCB from the display and desolder a jumper from one location and then resolder it in another location.

This is something that is best left to a technician who is familiar with working on this type of equipment.

If you go to the Furuno USA website, www.furunousa.com, you can find a list of dealers in your area that would be able to perform this modificaiton for you.

Hurricane

Thanks for the info and i'll look for a dealer in my area. Just a question but what would happen if i left things as is and ran it on 12volts?
Will the transducer i already have in the boat work with the 292?

Hello steveinak,

My apologies for not addressing your entire question.

It is not advisable to try running the display on 12VDC with the jumpers set for 24VDC. First off, it won't function. Secondly, there is the possibility of damaging the Main PCB.

Along with changing the jumper, you also need to replace the main fuse. A 3A fuse is used for 24/32 VDC, while a 7A fuse must be used for 12VDC.

The B256 transducer, as we sold it, will not work with the FCV292. It may be possible that Airmar sold it in an alternate configuration, which then may be compatible, but I am not aware of any such version.

One way to confirm is to look at the connector on the end of the cable. If it is either an 8 pin round or 10 pin round connector, it will not work.

I hope this helps.

Hurricane

Back