transducer for gp 1670f

Liehrs

Just bought 1670, have 600 watt transducer mounted on transom of 15 foot boat, need to know best additional 1000 watt transducer for this unit. This boat is beached several times a day,and has a double hull, so I plan to mount 1000 watt on a removable pole mount on transom. So I don't care what kind of mounting it uses , just need best transducer, and the 1670f is the largest unit that will fit my center console. We have been deep dropping at 800 to 1200 feet , need to find bottom structure deep dropping, so bottom definition is probably most important. Fishing in Bahamas if that matters. Thanks for any advice.

Good morning Liehrs,

This is kind of a difficult one. A traditional through hull transducers should not really have the stem where the transducer transmit wire comes into it submerged in water. Adhering to that fact that really only gives you a couple options like the 1kw transom mount transducer like the 525TID-TMD. Which is the same elements as the Airmar B258 transducer. You could also get a transom mount T260 from airmar, which has more elements than the 258 and is a bit more sensitive. Furuno USA does not stock that transducer but your authorized dealer could order it from Airmar made to work with a Furuno GP1670. Either case that is really your only option.

Thanks for the reply.I probably needed to be more specific, I have no issue with installing the transducer into tubing or housing in a totally waterproof fashion, then to a removable mount, or cut inner hull if I absolutely had to,fabrication is the simplest part for me!This set up is TEMPORARY, just to scout bottom, then back to 600 watts, I'm unsure if I would have to change internal jumper to go from 600 watt to 1000 watt each time and which transducer will give me best picture of bottom?The 600 watt has a speedo which is nice water skiing, and it's a cheap transducer if it gets damaged. The 1000watt will allow me to locate the bottom structure on gps then I can take the big boat back in the future. I only deep drop if I'm unsuccessful trolling or want snapper so having these spots previously located would be awesome. Fuel savings using the little boat as a scout will pay for the set up pretty quickly. What would you recommend as the most sensitive bottom reading transducer of all for this little unit regardless of mount?

Back