Furuno GP330B GPS Receiver vs Airmar G2183

eheffa

Hi,

I am looking at NMEA 2000 compatible GPS antennas.

I would favor the Garmin GPS 19x NMEA 2000 as it has 32 channels and a 10 Hz update rate but from my reading is unlikely to be configurable by the user unless one has a Garmin MFD.

I see in the Installation guide for the Furuno GP330B NMEA2000 GPS Receiver that the Furuno GP330B is mechanically and electrically identical to the Airmar G2183. The Airmar reports GPS position at a user select-able 1 - 10 Hz whereas the more expensive Furuno is spec'd at only 1 Hz. (Note: I am not going to be using it as a heading sensor, just position, but still, this seems a little inferior.)

Is this difference in refresh rate significant for a vessel that cruises at 8 - 12 knots (max speed 17 knots)? Would I be able to see any difference?

Should the Furuno unit not be adjustable to 10 Hz output if it's indeed identical to the Airmar?

I'm interested in maximizing compatibility and avoiding conflicts with my Furuno TZT2, so would favor the Furuno but hate to pay more to get less...

Insights appreciated.

-evan

You are looking at some old information. The current version of the GP330B since about 2013 is a 10hz unit. The problem you will find with the x19 is they don't provide magnetic variation data with the GPS so it causes problems on some installs. The GP330B provides mag var and is a very good GPS option.

Oh, that’s very good news.

(I actually ordered one of these 330B units in order to maximize compatibility with the system.)

I’m very pleased to hear of these improvements.

Thank you.

It would seem that all the information posted on the FurunoUSA website still has the old specs. The user manual specifies 12 Channels and 1 Hz update rate.

I've ordered one and intend to use it but your improved specifications do not seem to have made it into the documentation.

-evan

Thanks Johnny,

I just received the unit yesterday and installed it as a deck-mount on my pilothouse roof. The unit comes with good instructions and hardware, and a good quality NMEA 2000 cable.

I had a brief test taking the boat out the gloaming dark in a rare bit of snowfall. It got a fix almost immediately after leaving the boat shed and it showed no stuttering or hesitation in updating my position (at slow speeds mind you...)

I am only seeing ~ 10 -12 satellites displayed but this would be a minor quibble if it works as it should. So far so good.

-evan

I sent an e-mail to Japan asking for the manuals to reflect the current v3 revision and clarification of the specs.

Sounds like your cooking with Gas.

I got back some clarification from Japan. The GP330B sensor core can do 10hz but currently they are only using it at 1hz. (once per second) There really isn't much real world benefit of using updates faster than one second. Due to customers now using this as a purchase consideration they plan to activate the 10 hz via a software update.

Thank you Johnny,

Having tested the unit out in stormy conditions this past weekend I have no complaints. The position Fix was quick (almost immediate) on cold restarts & quite acceptable, displaying smoothly at anchor & while underway. (We are not traveling at high speeds: ~ 4 - 11 Knots as a rule with top speed ~ 17 Knots.) My vessel may not test the unit that much...

Nevertheless, when shopping for a GPS antenna in the high end category the 1 Hz refresh rate stands out as a comparative deficiency.

Will installed units have access to this software upgrade?

Absolutely, it will be a simple software update via your MFD to update the unit. Units prior to 2013 will not be upgrade-able.

By way of followup.

I have 2 questions:

1> I have been using the Furuno GP330B over a NMEA 2000 network and connected to a TZT215 MFD.

It works quite well when up and running but lately have been having great difficulty getting it find an initial fix.

I keep my boat in a boathouse so while in the home port, the view to the sky is blocked by the metal roof of the boathouse. (I usually keep the NMEA 2000 network powered up but have the MFD shut down while it sits there.) If the boat has been sitting for a few weeks, the GPS position is lost and but finally out under the open sky, the Furuno is unable to come up with a fix. (This will persist for 15-30 minutes without resolution. Shutting the NMEA 2000 network down and restarting the instruments, will not remedy the issue. It seems that I have to shut the NMEA 2000 network and turn the MFD off. Restarting the NMEA and waiting until the AIS, Furuno GPS and Furuno Heading sensor are live before turning on the MFD will eventually result in the MFD getting a position fix via the 330B.

This seems quite tedious and means I have to bob around in the harbour for 10 - 15 minutes waiting to get my instruments functional before heading off.

Would it be better to keep the NMEA 2000 network off when the boat is sitting? Can anyone explain the reason for this behavior?

2> How does one update the Firmware in the GPS 330B to allow for 10 Hz position reporting?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-evan

Normally most the the GPS units we see go bad within the first 10 years is related to placement on the boat. If you place any GPS within the beam of the radar or next to a strong RF source, it will damage the GPS receiver over time. The sensitivity gets weaker and weaker as the front end gets damaged. This sounds a lot what you have happening. The 10 hz reporting was a hardware change not a firmware change. The reporting rate (1hz or 10 hz) would not cause your sensitivity to get better or worse.

Back