1870F viewing contour lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

mburke001

I have a 1870F which I purchased in Nov 2016, it only uses the C-Map4D. I have the St.Lucie to New Orleans Card and according to C-Map, I'm supposed to be able to see the contour lines, VAD is unlocked. However, there's none visible. Can someone advised, step by step, on the settings so I could be view them. I have everything turned on, including High resolution bathymetric but I only see the normal chart info. Am I missing something to do? Little frustrating w/this unit. Thanks.

Have you tried comparing what you see with the chart inserted to what is there without it? It could be that data you are seeing is the base chart imbedded into the machine because it does have some information without the chip. It might be the card reader or card has a problem. Have you talked to C-map because they have seen bad chip batches from time to time? As far as going through your settings, it would be best to talk to a tech while in front of the unit. (410-479-4420/360-834-9300)

I haven't tried viewing the chart without the card. I did contact C-Map and they're checking the data source also. I'll check my Plotter on Monday. Thank you.

Hi:
I finally received an answer from C-Map:
This is what was reported to me today:

"Unfortunately, our bathy layer doesn't really improve much in this area as we do
not currently have 1 foot contours available along the inshore areas.
So whether the regular vector charts are on, or the High-Res Bathy layer is on,
all you will see are soundings right now.
We are working to improve the inshore coastal bathymetry, but at the moment, what
you see is the best we have to offer."

This is not good.I'm guessing I should just use the Raster Chart only.

I was out 30 miles in the Fl GOM and did not have any contour lines. Evidently the C-Map has not done a good job for the Nature Coast off of Homosassa Fl.

My question Now: is there a way I can get a Navionics Card or Garmin Card to work in my unit?

Thanks
Mike

I appreciate you responding, however, I purchased the Unit under the impression that the Unit with C-Map would provide the necessary information to fish and also to navigate safely in the area (not to hit rocks/oyster bars). Now to find out C-Map doesn't have any details except soundings for the area I'm in.

Curious does Furuno ever test these units with the C-Map 4D card to see what is actually sold to the customers? Since, we, the customers are being forced to use only one type of chip in the Unit?

Thanks

C-map is one of, if not the largest chart provider. There are parts of the world and the USA that you might have limited data including the use of the official charts. There are areas of the USA that NOAA or ACE hasn't surveyed in many years. Normally I find if C-map doesn't show it, it isn't on the official charts and most others don't have it either. If you didn't have time to research the best charts for your area prior to purchase, maybe your dealer will offer you some recourse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back