gp 1650 ng battery

T

teffy

My 1650 indicates a ng internal battery on initial startup.

I am not unplugging the unit from dc power until i can recover the way point data. i have ordered a fur-dwn-cbl cable to extract the information and have a win 98 compatible laptop for the operation.

I have a gp33 as backup and would like to transfer the info to this unit as well as the 1870 im planning to buy as an addition to these 2 gps sources

what kind of software / hardware do in need to recover and transfer the information to the mentioned units?

what is the procedure to recover the information and transfer to a newer furuno unit?

Is there any other items i am overlooking?

Thanks

Each respective manual discusses the transfer of points to a PC. For doing this I would recommend the SeaMarks program (www.andren.com) or other suitable program like GPS Utilities. If this is a one time transfer between unit types; I would recommend your Furuno dealer. Many times they already have the investment in the proper cables and software. The service fee will normally be less and save you the time and headache. The PC can bridge the data to different units and different formats. The challenge on going from the GP1650 (4800 baud) and the GP33 (3,400 baud) is the different baud rates in which they communicate the points. This is where the PC comes in useful. You bring in the points at one rate and then use the PC to re-transmit the points at the other rate.

Thanks Johnny, as always this forum comes through. A very valuable resource.

I probably would go to the furuno dealer 523 yards from my boat, however they do not seem interested in the low dollar job . I had to purchase a cable for my 295 from a dealer 97 miles away after this local dealer told me it was obsolete - on a unit still being sold.

I'm planning on upgrading to a 1870 for a chart plotter soon. I do NOT want to loose this info

That is understandable. I always recommend you at least take a photo of all your waypoints from the waypoint list; so you have some sort of as a backup.

The battery died. I need to send it to furuno for a new battery. Confirm the location for repair is 4400 N.W. Pacific Rim Blvd.
Camas, WA 98607, USA

Back