Stop navigating to saved waypoint-GP-1870f?

A

Anonymous

Maybe I have missed it, but I cant find anywhere in the manual that tells you how to STOP NAVIGATING to a waypoint you have saved.

Is the only way by moving the cursor over the waypoint in the plotter mode, hitting ENTER and then chosing STOP? I am really not in plotter mode very much. Prefer windows with data.

Pj Schramel,

When you select the context menus it allows you to access the functions related to the cursor-selected item.
Select the applicable item then press the ENT key to show the context sensitive menu. you then may use the roto key to select a function.
This will lead to the context menus in different categories.

Click Point in route and you can select stop.
Click Point and you may delete or move any active points.

Regards,

Mr. Radar

I understand how the context sensitive menus work.

So, are you say that, yes, the only way to stop navigating to a way point is to be in a plotter screen, move the cursor to the waypoint, initiate the context sensitive menu and select STOP? If so, that's REALLY cumbersome. Even the older 1650/1850 had a way to access STOP NAVIGATING, using button pushes. Moving the cursor along can be difficult on a rocking boat.

I have discovered that when you select PLOT from the list of points that the cursor appears to default directly on the point. So it is a simply matter of hitting ENTER to choose STOP (navigating). However, I don't believe that you are actually navigating towards the point; it is just plotting it on the chart for you to see.

But if you choose GO TO in the POINTS menu, the cursor is offset from the point and you must move the cursor onto the point to be able to hit ENTER and access the STOP (navigating) option.

Upon further review, if you have already hit GO TO and are navigating to the point, you can go into the POINTS list, select the active point and then choose PLOT. This will put the cursor on the point, even if you are in the GO TO state. Then, just hit ENTER and you get the context sensitive menu for the point because the cursor is directly on the point. Again, a bit cumbersome.

It would make much more sense if STOP was an option when you select a way point that is active in the POINTS list, even though that is still a series of button pushes and roto-key rotations.

Anyone else find any other ways of terminating the navigation to a point?

I had the pleasure of helping a guy set up his rather high end Hummingbird GPS/FF yesterday. While it is probably an inferior FF to the 1670/1870 class from Furuno, it sure was refreshing having a logical sequence of menu layouts. For any equivalent of a "home screen" (in Furuno terms), you could hit the menu button ONCE and you got an abbreviated list of the most commonly adjusted parameters. This abbreviated list changed from home screen to home screen, whether it was a GPS screen, a FF screen or a combo screen. In EVERY case, the FIRST option was STOP NAVIGATING. Hummingbird gets it.

Furuno really needs to spend a litttle more time designing their menu layout. Even with my 1650, options were stored in odd places in the menu tree. Even long time owners I know agree that Furunos are never easy to learn, nor intuitive.

Great FF capability, though. I also REALLY like how much I can customize the home screens. I did find I was having trouble saving my USER DEFAULT setup, but it finally did it.

Pj,

Thank you for the tremendous amount of feedback and will pass this to our product team.

Regards,

Mr. Radar

I should get my C-map card for my area next week. I will have more observations at that time. Hoping I am still not cruising on land in the Sea of Cortez like my old NT+ chart used to show.

One "bug" I noticed. Sometimes when I go to save my USER DEFAULT settings, it seems to perform a LOAD DEFAULT settings function, instead. The screen warns me not to shut it down, then it powers itself down and reboots with settings that are NOT my user default settings. They arent the factory settings either. Seems to do this about 50% of the time. A true SAVE USER DEFAULT SETTINGS does not power it down and it does save all my custom screens and system settings. Something to pass on. I am certain I am not hitting LOAD USER DEFAULT SETTINGS.

My workaround has been to make my settings changes and power the unit down, manually. Then, I power it back up and it has retained all my settings. I THEN go about a SAVE USER DEFAULT SETTINGS and it works; it saves the info W/O it rebooting itself.

Was just going through my old 1650 as I migrate the waypoints into the 1870..........and I decided to look for how you STOP NAVIGATING to a waypoint in it. There is no way that I could find. You had to constantly be navigating to somewhere, unless maybe you shut the whole thing off. I just always left mine navigating to my home port, so I knew how far I was away.

Mr. Radar, do you think it likely or unlikely that Furuno would still be working on an update for the 1670/1870? I believe it is about 3 years old now.

Overall, I am happy with the unit. Much better FF resolution.

Pj,

Everything is a work in progress but baring any new update information as of right now it is improbable.

Regards,

Mr. Radar

Back