New Plotter with older Radome?

A

Anonymous

Hello all,

I'm looking for advice regarding improving the setup on my new (used) boat, which currently has an older Foruno radar dome (model unknown) and radar display (Model 821) . I would like to buy a nice new Foruno plotter but I'm hoping to use the data from the existing Radome for a radar/GPS overlay. I would rather not buy a new dome if there is nothing wrong with the radar signal, but I don't anticipate a newer plotter having a 17-pin (or so) radar data port input. Is there an adapter or some other way to use this dome for a chartplotter radar overlay? If so, what model plotter do you recommend?

Thanks! Jack

Jack,
Your existing radar dome can not unfortunately be used with Furuno's newer MFD displays like the TZ touch or TZtouch2. These displays utilize one of our digital radar sensor (DRS) style radar antenna's.

Thanks for the reply. Can you perhaps provide a list of older Furuno plotters that would work with my radar dome?Although it is discontinued, I'm thinking that the RDP 149 could be a good fit for my boat, especially if it could display radar data from my existing dome. Thanks! Jack

The RDP149 will not work.
You could only use an old 7" Navnet 1 or vx2.

Can you specify which model(s) VX2 would work? Or how can I know if a particular unit will incorporate my radar? Thanks again.

jack did not say what dome he had,i want to install a rdp148 to a rsb0071-057 dome ,this is a brand new dome, used rdp148 ,7" screen and is the size i want, this is simualar to Jack's issue my boat is a 33ft sailloat can you help please

Chinster,

you can not install a rdp148 to RSB0071-057
The dome must be a RSB0071-058.

Regards,

Mr.Radar

Back