GP33 nmea 0183 to usb for connection to laptop?

A

Anonymous

Can you tell me if there is a cable available to connect the nmea 0183 cable to a usb cable so that I can transfer numbers from a laptop to the gp33?

If so, what cable (furuno part number) and what color wires do I connect on the nmea 0183 cable..

Thanks in advance!

ts

You would need the optional 0183 cable (p/n 001-112-970) then the 0183 to USB converter (232-USB-CBL). You would wire the two cables as follows:

0183 GP33 -- --- USB converter
Green (Receive) Orange (Send data)
Yellow (Send) Yellow (Receive data)
Blue (Signal ground) Black (Ground)

I can create a .ROU file with my Andern Sea Marks software. When I get it connected to my GP33, how do I transfer a .ROU file from Windows 7 PC to GP33. Also, can I use a Mac or Linux computer to transfer the .rou file.

Thanks,

Sorry for the late reply. You high jacked an old thread.

Please see page 7-13 of the users manual " Downloading data from PC".
In general it data and as long as the program being used to do the transfer is supported by the computer; it should work. Andren (Seamarks) supports this type of data transfer. They have excellent support for their program. We recommend them often.

Sorry, had to HiJack old thread since I tried posting a new thread but was never approved :(

I talked to Carl Andren and figured it out, thanks.
Cable: Ordered Furuno NMEA 0183 Cable 10P f/GP33 + Top-Longer USB 2.0 to RS232 DB9 Serial Male Converter Adapter Cable with PL2303 Chipset + YCS Basics Black 6 Foot DB9 9 Pin Serial / RS232 Male / Female Extension Cable all from Amazon. The serial to USB comes with drivers on CD connected no problem Cut the extension cable and used the included gender bender so I could screw the two cables together for secure connection. (could use other end too if you wish) YCS Cable Pin 1 wire is tan, connect to Furuno yellow wire Pin 2 is Red connect to green Furuno and pin 5 is yellow connect to Furuno blue wire. Wires are thin, so use bend over type connection instead of twisting together. Shrink warp firmly with several layers to make solid connection. Connect to PC and GP33 through USB and NEMA 183 (use VOM to make sure pin configuration is correct)

Open file in Sea Marks you want transfer in Andre's Sea Marks--work with it to make sure it is what you want to upload to GP33. If GP33 is installed in boat, great, use laptop PC (that's what I did) and connect PC to GP33 using the correct ends of the cable you made.

Turn on GP33 go to I/O setup and I changed the first and 2nd fields to GPS, not sure necessary but it worked. On PC right click computer and then properties then device manager and click com ports to see what port the USB/serial is connected through.

In Seamarks, tools->upload/download->Furuno.GP33 then another screen will come up. Click "set" at com port, change com number to what was discovered above, and configure as the GP33 screen you have up tells you, rate, off/on etc.

Next go dcown to download from PC in the GP33 screen and enter, then over to yes and ent and it will say downloading...

Then click "upload GPS files (or something like it) in SeaMark - next to last box on bottom right. Then wait, it will take a looong time. The PC program will advance boxes slowly until it is finished and wait a little to be sure and then click the exit box and the GP33 will tell you it was successful.

Then go to waypoints and see if your waypoints are there. May take a few times to get the sequence right.

Wish I could have found this information before -- from someone that has done the procedure. Oh Well it is now hopefully searchable- MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone :cool

IMPORTANT: If you have waypoints in your GP33 you want to keep, first open Sea Marks and bring up blank new page and then use procedurfe above BUT go from Left to right in boxes at the bottom after I/O setup transfer to PC instead of PC to GP33 WHEN YOU UPLOAD FROM PC, IT WILL ERASE ALL GP33 WAYPOINTS< EVEN IF IS NOT SUCCESSFUL IN IMPORTING.

Back