Question about a GP7000f

A

Anonymous

I just Bought a boat with a GP7000F chartplotter/fish finder.

Will that model support DSC from the vhf? I have the outputs from the radio, but I am sure how to hook it up to the GPS unit.

Thanks in advance!!

Rocky

As long as you have version 3 software or above, DSC should work fine. Keep in mind the radio should provide both DSC and DSE. Wring of the DSC info should be to the plotters NMEA 0183 port via the Yellow (+) and Green (-) input wires.

Thanks - Dumb questions number 2 and 3 and 4...
How do I confirm if I have version 3 or above of the software?

Will any NMEA plug I buy have a "Yellow" and "Green" wire??

Can I hook Both my VHF's up the plotter in parallel?

Thanks again!!

To see the software version in the unit hit MENU - ADVANCED - SYSTEM UPDATE, then look at the plotter software. (after the dash)

The NMEA connection for both NMEA 1 and NMEA 2 of the GP7000 is a 6 pin cable connection. (NMEA cable p/n 000-154-054) Either of these NMEA ports will accept NMEA data via the Yellow (+) and Green (-). If you need to send GPS data to the radio you can use the NMEA output wires White (+) and Black (-). You can have to radios listen to one output but you can NOT have two radio input into the same two input wires. (the to radio outputs would short together)

Hi Johnny.
I got to the boat and looked at the software. It is Plotter SW version 1451722-2.01. So it sounds like I need to update the software. What is the best way to do that?
The Echo sounder s/w is 1451716-01.10. Is that current?
Thanks for the help. I am new to this stuff-- but I am learning!!'

Thanks!
Rocky
Rocky

Thanks. This is a test. I can't seem to see the entire thread.

Hi Johnny- more issues.
I got the software downloaded to an SD card. I used a brand new SanDisk 32. I went to install it today and it didn't act just like the instructions indicated it would.

To begin with, the unit wouldn't "power up" with the card in the reader. I got around that.....
When I got to the advanced screen and began the upload all looked well.....it was counting up to 100% ...... It got to 99% and then started over at "0" again ..... I let it it do this for several times and canceled it. It never asked me to reboot.

I tried it a few times....including in both SD slots.... Same thing.

My plan is to download the software onto a variety of SD cards and try again. Does that sound reasonable? Or do you have other ideas?

One more thing.... When I downloaded the software from your site, it downloads as a zip file. I unzipped it before I put it on the SDcard. Was that right?

Thanks again for all the help!

Rocky.

Thanks!
Rocky
Rocky[/quote]

Yes, the instructions are clear that you can't use very large SD cards.
I recommend a 1GB card but at your software level, a 2GB card should also work. Anything above 2GB will not work.

Johnny Electron":2hpba9tb said:
To see the software version in the unit hit MENU - ADVANCED - SYSTEM UPDATE, then look at the plotter software. (after the dash)

The NMEA connection for both NMEA 1 and NMEA 2 of the GP7000 is a 6 pin cable connection. (NMEA cable p/n 000-154-054) Either of these NMEA ports will accept NMEA data via the Yellow (+) and Green (-). If you need to send GPS data to the radio you can use the NMEA output wires White (+) and Black (-). You can have to radios listen to one output but you can NOT have two radio input into the same two input wires. (the to radio outputs would short together)

I am getting closer.... I got the software updated. I got my MMSI number input. I hooked up the VHF. To the yellow and green wires per the manuals.... But I still get a "No Position" message on my radio. Meaning it isn't getting position info from the gps. Is there a setting in the CP i need to change?
I looked through the manual for a one and didn't see anything.

Thanks!

Rocky

You need to ensure you have turned on the GPS NMEA sentences within the GP7000 setting needed for your VHF. The setting are changed under the NMEA port setting which you have wired to. I would suggest GLL, VTG, ZDA, RMB, RMC.

Back