GP1870F No GPS Fix

eowyn_2

I just purchased a GP1870F and I've had issues with it obtaining a GPS satellite fix.

When I first turned it on it it got a fix although it was showing me moving around quite a bit even though I was tied to a dock. Then, as I cycled power it sometimes would obtain a fix and other times it wouldn't. Finally, it will not obtain a fix at all, even though I tried different configurations (disconnected CANBUS, removed chart, etc). When viewing the satellite page it just showed very weak signals.

From the box it appears to have the latest software release. I've got a vacation in a couple of weeks and I was hoping to have a new chart plotter. I brought the 1870 home with me and will try it here and see if I, for some reason, have different results.

Any suggestions to try?

I tried the unit at home under open skies with the same result. Only very weak signals on the satellite page.

Attachments

• IMG_1858.jpg
    IMG_1858.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 2,862
It can be caused either by your location or how the unit is mounted. If the unit is flush mounted and there is lot of material and RF noise; you might need to add a low cost external GPS antenna (GPA017). I would recommend you first try to change a setting. Go to MENU - SYSTEM - INTERNAL GPS SETUP - and change the Navigation speed from high to LOW. There are some parts of the world and internals of the USA that don't have enough satellites in view to support the high setting.

Thanks Johnny,

The unit location is outside, on a bracket at the helm of a sailboat. Then I tried it at home hooked to a stand alone battery in the Seattle area outside with a clear view of the sky. I've tried the navigation speed setting in the LOW selection (I had seen this advice on the forum) and I've reset the GPS and rebooted numerous times with no change in the results. Once, when trying it at home it obtained a fix but lost it within 5 seconds.

I would recommend sending the unit into our (WA) service center because based on your findings the unit needs service/replacement.

Back