GP - 1870F G.P.S " No Fix" Message

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I am having problems with the internal G.P.S of the 1870 F. At sea level I have no issues, however once I am up the lakes fishing at about 1000m I continually get a "No Fix" message and it fails to connect to the satellites.

As it is somewhat of an isolated location I thought perhaps the internal G.P.S receiver of the unit wasn't particularly strong. I thought this mainly because I have a G.P 32 Unit I run side by side to the 1870F and it picks up satellites no problem and fixes immediately all the time.

I then connected the external aerial from the G.P 32 to the GP 1870 F and still I get the "No Fix" message. I am at a loss to explain this other than I may have to configure the GP 1870F somehow for it to use the external antenna rather than its internal one.

I hope you can assist with my problem as I need this function working :huh :(

Cheers

Blackie

Due to the location of the boat, please try changing the “Navigation Speed” setting under Menu-System-Internal GPS Setup; from “High” to “Low” and rebooting the unit. I think then you will find the unit will get a fix at both locations.

Thanks for the quick reply Johnny, I have changed the "Navigation Speed" setting and rebooted the unit. Once I have a chance to test it at 1000m I will report back on if it fixes my fix issues.

Cheers,

Blackie

So I'd like to bring this topic back to life as I seem to be experiencing a similar problem. I recently bought a boat that came with the 1870f f over in Juneau AK. The 1870f unit is one year old and worked perfectly fine over in Juneau. I bought it and brought the unit over to Sitka. For the first week of ownership I had no issues with the unit. Now, I am getting a "NO FIX" message. I do not have an external GPS antenna but rather just use the internal GPS. I restarted the unit on the "internal gps" page and that seemed to work temporarily. It was able to find a fix over the weekend and I thought it was fixed. However, I just took it out again today and was receiving the "no fix" message again. I've changed the Navigation speed from high to low and have had no luck. Suggestions??? Everything else on the unit works fine.

It sounds like that area has more interference or less satellites in view with your unit using the internal antenna mounted on the boat. I would recommend an external antenna be used. The GPA017 with 10 meter cable normally runs around $120.

Thanks Johnny. I called the teck rep at Furuno and they suggested I mail it into them first so they can look to see if there is a problem with the internal gps.

Apologies I didn't get back with a result earlier. Changing the Navigation Speed from High to Low fixed the problem completely.

Back