GP-1870F Plotter detail goes missing

A

Anonymous

Hi, this is a great forum! I have a few issues with my GP1870F which we use as a GPS only.

Im sure the problems we have are user related.

1st . At zoom range of 0.5 kms or more we have all the map detail.. contour lines, breakwalls, marinas etc. When we zoom in closer all of the map detail disapears leaving just a blue screen. We need to follow contor lines accurately in ( preferabley ) zoom of .020 ( 20 metres scale ) to locate limestone ledges etc. and navigate accurately into the marina at night time..Details on the actual card is written C-Map 40 dated February 12 2014 0077 port eyre to Apollo Bay. The area I am fishing is S 34degrees 32.200 E 137 degrees 09.700 . which is off Port Victoria in South Australia.

2nd. The unit stores the waypoints in alphabetical order.. we want them stored in distance from closest to furtherest. I can do this via the roto button when required but it always returns to alphabetical order. How do I store waypoints in distance as the default.

3rd. when we zoom the map out some of our further waypoints loose their name and just show an Icon.. It seems logical that when we zoom the map out we should be able to determine what our sorrounding fishing grouns are called.. not just where they are.

Hope you can help

cheers

Marty (South Australia.)

You would have to speak to C-Map Jeppesen considering any charting questions on what is the lowest detailed charts available for your area. There is a chart lock feature in your settings that will ensure that you do not zoom past the lowest chart layer/range.

Currently the unit will revert to alphabetical. As you state, the sorting can be done with the roto-key but I will pass the suggestion to retain the user choice for this menu. It might be helpful if you take this issue to your local distributor for reporting also.

when we zoom the map out some of our further waypoints loose their name and just show an Icon.. It seems logical that when we zoom the map out we should be able to determine what our surrounding fishing grounds are called.. not just where they are.

When a screen is so small with a large amount of data to display; it is called de-cluttering. This feature is not expected to be changed.

OK thanks for your response Johnny.. I am disappointed.. some of the restrictions with this unit seem to lack common sense.. every-one I know sorts their GPS marks by distance from their current position as a default.. thats the easiest way to choose your next destination!! This unit is very clunky to operate!

Decluttering is an option on most units.. lacks logic why the user does not have a choice. when travelling using the plotter I like to know the names of my nearby marks.. especially if some one is fishing on them.. not much good just showing an Icon... very disappointing that it cannot be changed.

regards

Martin

Back