Replacing Magnetron in Mexico

A

Anonymous

Hi,
I have just purchaced a boat in La Paz Mexico that has a Furuno 1832 36 mile radar.

What I believe to be the signal strength meter in the upper right corner of the display never rises above 1/4 and I don't see targets at any significant distance. The consensus seems to be that the magnetron needs to be replaced, but there is no Furuno repair facility in La Paz, and I suspect none on the Pacific coast of Mexico (Please confirm).

I am considering purchasing the magnetron here in San Franciso and replacing it in the radome myself. If this is to be successful, I need the guidance of someone who does this regularly, and some pictures from a shop manual - or equivilent. Can you help?

Carl

Furuno Electric Company has 2 distributors in Mexico who might be able to assist you.
Navalec SA DE CV.
Acapulco No. 35 Office No. 703
Colonia Roma, CP 06700
Delegacion Cuahtemoc
Mexico D.F.
Phone: 52 55 52114372
E-Mail: rdiaz@navlec.com

Prosea Electroica S.A. de C.V.
Av. 4 Ote x Calle 2 Sur
Parque Industrial y Pesquero “Laguna Azul”
Cd. Del Carmen, Campeche C.P. 24140
Phone: 52 938 38 44632
E-Mail: prosea_9@prodigy.net.mx

They might be able to provide you the name of a local dealer who can offer support.

Please let us know if this works for you.

Melville

Hi,

I am used to working with electronics and I am used to working up a mast so I would like to explore doing this myself - disassembling the radome in place and swapping out the "tube".

Carl

We would highly recommend that the service to your radome be performed by an authorized Furuno dealer that is licensed to work on radars. However, if this is not possible then you might consider sending it to our Camas, Washington office.
Furuno USA only provides the service manual through our authorized dealers so if you decide to change the magnetron yourself, please ask the dealer you purchase it from to provide you the schematics and documentation you will need.
Melville