1622 Radar intermittent sweep problem

S

sailmonkey

I've got a 1622 radar that was new in box as of 1.5 years ago when I installed it. Now it's behaving oddly. Sometimes when beginning to transmit the display fills with reflections, out of orientation of course, for 1-2 full sweeps, then on the third sweep the display changes to a blob in the middle with no other echos visible.

Sometimes if you enter standby and then transmit again the problem is cured. Other times you need to power down the unit and then start it again.

I've already had the belt pop off, so I know what that looks like. This is similar but the belt is attached. Is it possible that the reed switch needs to be closer to the antenna? Any other ideas?

for a video of the problem, follow this link. Go to 1:25 to see what happens.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8P0Q ... RsS1ZwNkhz

Thanks

Matt

sailmonkey,

After watching the video that you have provided, It does appears to show that there might be a Processor Board problem (SPU Board) which is the cause of this "blob effect" when transmitting of radar echoes and targets. :think

So it is recommended that you send both the Display and Dome/Assy in for service to our Camas, WA repair facility.

Hope this helps..?

- Deep Blue - ;)

Is there any merit to me trying to move the reed switch closer to the antenna?

And would a third party authorized repair facility that is much closer to me be able to repair this problem?

The reed relay sensor should be close enough to the magnet to close the circuit but not physically touch or cause damage. Unless it has been bent away, it shouldn't need adjustment.

Many Furuno dealers offer in-shop repair services. If you are within Furuno USAs sales and service area, you can find our dealers listed by using the "Where to buy" link at the top of our site. (http://www.FurunoUSA.com)

sailmonkey,

I don't think that it's a Reed Switch problem because you are not getting any "Missing BP Signal or BP Error" message, So I really think that it's the Processor Board in the Display.

I also would inspect the Dome/Assy for any possible water intrusion.

Yes, you can take the unit to any Authorized Furuno Dealer for repair, but I would recommend having both the Display and Dome/Assy when you do.

- Deep Blue :)

Back