DRS12A vs DRS12AX

Capt David

Furuno Fan
I'm preparing to install a new system on a new boat. I was wondering if you could explain the pros and cons of each unit? I had the DRS12A 6 ft array on my last boat and it was an excellent radar. I'm going to stay with a Furuno system, but I'm not sure which radar unit is better. Thanks in advance

Capt-
If you were impressed with the 12A you will be very impressed with the AX series.
Besides the advantages of being a lighter gearbox the performance is where it shines.
They are putting about 50% more power on the target for enhanced detection, fast target tracking meaning almost instantaneous target vectors when you turn on ARPA, and a bird mode that actually works. The DRS12A can certainly find birds, but the pre-configured Bird Mode in the AX requires minimal or no adjustment.

It doesn't require a separate power supply but it does require 24Vdc.

The AX series is not compatible with the previous Navnet 3D series. We still have the MFDBB in our product line and want to continue to support that series. It is still a fine radar, but if you have the choice then the AX is the way to go.

That made my choice much easier. If it needs 24vdc do you just add a transformer to get it to work on a 12 volt marine battery? If so what part is required from Furuno to make it work? Thank you

We sell a converter. The part number is NEW-12V-24V-7A. It is a DC Converter 12V-24V 7 AMPS and has a list price of $350.

Melville,

One last question, is there much of a noticeable difference between the 4ft and 6 ft array on the DRS12AX? The array will be mounted approx 11ft above water on hardtop.

Although the 6' antenna will give better target separation it is sometimes too large to swing on a smaller boat due to other antennas and outriggers.
The .5 degree wider beam width of the 4' should not be an issue and you would probably not notice a difference.

Back