Furuno Model 1941 Mark-2 Radar inop

O

oldhudson

Hi All,

I know this radar is as old as dirt in the electronics world but it has worked well for years and it just recently stopped. Display lights up fine, Auto Tuning OK, 4' open array antenna spins but there are no targets on the screen. I have rings and the usual display but no targets (land or otherwise) on the screen. I played with all of the settings but still no targets or land outlines. Any quick tests or suggestions on things to check before I haul it out?

Drift Away Ocean Alexander 545 Yachtfish
currently lying Green Turtle Cay Bahamas

oldhudson, thank you for your inquiry.

It sounds like that it might either be the Magnetron or the MIC/ASSY that might be need of replacement on the T/R, and if you have over 2500 transmit hours, My guess would be the Magnetron, but due to the age of the unit it can be both. Having the Auto Tuning Bars on the Display showing that the Processor trying to acquire targets.

However with that being said, I would open the Gearbox and do a quick inspection the internals and connections for any water intrusion, possible corrosion, or any loose connections.

If you still have the original Operators Manuals, it will show you how to open the Gearbox properly. If the inspections looks okay, I would then remove the T/R inside the Gearbox, (again the Operators Manual will show you how to do this..) and then remove the Display and have them sent in together for bench testing and checkout.

Hope this helps. :)

- Deep Blue

Deep Blue
Thanks for your help. I will look inside the antenna box today and let you know if that worked

Deep Blue,

It works!! I'm so happy. I opened up the radiator and pulled each of the connectors and sprayed them with contact cleaner. I didn't have high expectations because everything looked pretty clean and it was dry inside but I put it all back together and low and behold it works.

Thanks so much for your advice.

Jim Pyke
Drift Away Ocean Alexander 545
Green Turtle Cay, Bahamas

oldhudson,

Glad to hear that after cleaning the gearbox connections, the unit is now working normally.

I often refer back to my US Coast Guard training by checking the easy stuff first, and using some "Preventive Maintenance" on the system yearly...

Deep Blue - ;)

Back