1715 Non-Op

H

H2OTOW

>

Greetings,

Hoping you can lend some insight?

I'm running a 1715 system coupled to a RSB-0095 on local lakes and waterways.
Ser# R202-1615.

"Been having a problem and the unit does not work" my Captain reports.
Today I got the vessel in our shop for maintenance.

Removed the antenna cover and noticed the array not spinning when tx is turned on.
Belt is in place and looks to be in good shape.
Shut down, removed the belt and retried, nope... no joy.
The RM-9455, Model# J262-142 (008-502-630) stepper motor seems to just kinda shutter but does not rotate at all even when helped with a manual assistance. It just flickers, vibrates and shutters but no spinny spin ?

1 - I have read 10 pages of posts and have not seen this issue so I'm wondering if you have come across it before ?

2 - Can we pretty much figure the motor is shot and requires replacement ?

3 - How do we check warranty status on this unit ?

I'm in Arizona and don't have a local dealer within about 200+ miles of here so I'm kinda up a creek without a paddle so to speak.

Also the unit in question has been in service for two seasons 2016 & 2017, May-Oct.
We do a lot of night ops so it's a must have item to put this vessel back into service.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Greg
Metropolitan Marine

>

If you provide the serial number from the back of the display unit; we can check your warrantee status. It might be faster for you to call into our tech support with this information. It sounds like the motor or the board driving it is bad. Without having a spare unit, it will be very hard to tell which it is. If you need something repaired quickly; our service center will normally work with you. You might coordinate that directly with them.

Hello J/E and thanks for the reply.

I will contact the service center directly next week.

The Head unit is numbered as follows:

RDP-142
12-24VDC
4395-1615
2010LJ1513

I do have another 1715 system on the vessel parked next to this one in question.
If it sounds ok, I will pull the stepper motor out of the working system and try it in the broken one and also take the broken motor and install it in the working unit and monitor the results.
Does this sound acceptable to you ???

CHEERS

My system shows the unit sold in Korea in 2013. Since it is out of warrantee, I don't see any harm in trying the motor to see what you come up with. It won't hurt anything. Make sure to swap it with the power off.

Interesting the records show 2013 and Korea ???, That's a stretch from Arizona.

I bought the system complete in the USA online from the thegpsstore.com in the states (North Carolina) in early 2015 before the season started, it sat on the shelf for a coulpe of months before it was installed and put into service. So Hummmmm, something is a miss.

Motor Swap:

Anyhow, I removed the rotator motor from unit 1 in question. I put the motor in another boats system, unit 2 also a 1715 system. The motor rotation and system worked as it should. Pretty sure the motor itself is good.

I took the motor from the good system unit 2 and installed it into the non op unit 1 and it did not work, that's to say the motor did not spin the array.

I then put the good system unit 2 back together and it is back to working as it was before I swapped parts for testing.

Display Swap:

I took the display unit 1 from the non op system and installed into another boat in the fleet unit 3 and it worked just fine.

I took the display from unit 3 that also was working fine when layed up and installed it into the non op unit 1 and it suddenly did not work.

Putting the display back into it's home in unit 3, it was again working fine as it should.

I swapped displays in non op unit 1 with good unit 2 both ways and same result.

My testing conclusions lead me to believe that the antenna portion of unit 1 has petered or burned out. Not just the motor because it tested good but the control board system is apparently toast.
I believe the control board in the dome has failed considerably and prematurely.

Would you agree with the test conclusions ?

So my question:

Aside from an error in warranty paperwork and timeline, in your opinion, would it be wise to send the entire system in for service or cut my losses with the Furuno 1715 and shell out the money for an alternate system ?

I gotta say though, I've got five vessels with the Furuno 1715 radar systems on them and have had good service from them thus far and so I have to wonder if something has changed in the design or manufacturing of these new Furuno 1715 units that might cause them to fail in such short order ???

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter, Greg

There hasn't been much changed over the life of the 1715 except for software. If have have your purchase receipt showing it is under it's two year warrantee, I would send it in for sure. If not, then it would be a hard choice. The INT board (which would be my guess) runs $595 list plus labor and shipping will end running you about $750 to repair if I am correct. You could always replace it and keep the extra parts for doing repairs on your units. It appears you have several that will most likely need parts in the future.

Hello I am having the same issues with a 1623, did you find a resolution to the problem, I hate to start throwing parts at it. Furuno thought it was the motor but now I’m not so sure reading your post. Thanks

Back