DRS12A Close in performance

C

Catmando

Hi All. I recently installed a DRS12A, 2X TZT215, etc. and am happy with the overall system but noticed close aboard targets fade out as they enter about a 100'-200' radius around the boat. I assumed this was somewhat typical of a magnetron type radar but wanted to confirm. Antenna is about 15' above water level.

If this is typical i was also wondering if I would gain close in performance by either adding a DRS4-NXT to the system or changing the gear-box to the DRS6A-NXT and which would be preferable.

I understand that changing or added either of these radars will provide advanced signal processing and Doppler and was wondering if they also substantially increased close in target identification

Thanks

Both other options would show closer minimum range but yours sounds excessive the way you describe it. It sounds like you need a radar wedge mount so as the boat rides up that your radar isn't shooting off so high.

Thanks for the reply Johnny. Will give it a try. There is some minor pitch to the antenna at idle and now that you mention it I do get slightly better performance aft while at power with bow up.

Out of curiosity is the close in range pickup from SS radars substantial? just curious of the relative difference between the two radar technologies. May be picking up boat the spring in need of electronics. Collision avoidance always important.

Real world use and installations can vary but as a general guide the older X bands will have about 70-75 foot from the antenna as a minimum range. Keep in mind the boat is moving; If you haven't seen it before then, your going to hit it. If from your antenna to bow is 20 ft, then you have about 50 more feet of "dead air". The new X series radar, I have photos of radar returns with a metal float about 15 ft off the bow on a small Grady. The solid state unit do just that much better/closer. Everything is variable, it depends on if you want the really strong punch for birds and long range weather that the X series provides or the lower power consumption and closer minimum range offered by the solid state units. It is hard to go wrong with either. Even our solid state dome offers good bird location but it still can't beat a true magnetron open for longer distance. We had an series of boats with unnamed competitors open array units not seeing birds that we were getting with our NXT dome. Radar is one item that no one really wants to compare against us.

thanks again Johnny. I appreciate the info and am no way complaining. Having had other competitor products in the past, I have no doubt that Furuno sits on top in terms of product performance, innovation and support. My questions only relate to future (Furuno) product selection and the trade-off's between the differing technologies.

Back