New Electronics for a new Boat - Questions

Sdpaddler50

I am not doing the installation, but I am personally buying the gear.

45 ft., single engine, Recreational Trawler that will travel up and down the Cal Coast. Very limited fishing, so the main goal is a solid system for day and night time offshore running.

Two helm stations (upper and lower), with one NavNet TZ at each station, and AP capability at each helm.

The Furono System Builder is calling out the following in the chart below. Instead of the open array, I will be going with the DRS4D-NXT dome. I have purchased a different Xducer (Furono Airmar Bronze) than is shown.

Note: I posted this same info on a different website, but I am not getting feedback to my questions, so I have reposted it here hoping people with Furono experience can help.

My next post will have the questions..

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,860
I got some feedback from others on my first post on the other forum, and then I asked the following questions, but did not get any replies.

"The NavNet TZT has an internal GPS, but use the SC30 unless it dies."

Q: I will use the SC-30 Sat Compass as the primary to interface with the AP and NavNets. Do I therefore need the PG700 Hdg. Sensor? IE, it appears to me the SC-30 is the primary, the NavNet is the secondary, and the Pg700 is the third layer?

"If I recall correctly, the FI5000 is a wired N2K junction box. I would probably go with standard cables and connectors. It will give you more flexibility to disconnect devices in case of failure, or to diagnose problems. And it will be more flexible into the future."

Q: So I should substitute the F1-5000 for the F1-5002?

" I'm not sure I'd use the combined GPS and VHF antenna for the AIS. I'd probably use a std VHF antenna, and the GPS mushroom antenna. I think you can order the AIS either way. Or at least compare pricing to see if there is a difference."

Q: I am confused. Why would it be better to do that?

"I recommend using a conventional nmea2000 network too with T connectors. I would run the satellite compass cable right down to a T instead of to the radar".

Q: Same question as above, does that mean I should substitute the F1-5000 for the F1-5002?

Others then responded they thought the F1-5002 was fine.

Q: Would you just go with the F1-5002 as noted in the diagram and skip the cable/j box? (see below).

"Check this out for your system"

Q; A diagram is below, and this appears to have Part numbers A2K-SBN-1 & A2K-MPC-1. Same question, would you go this route?

Thanks in advance for the feedback. It is appreciated.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 1,856
Q: I will use the SC-30 Sat Compass as the primary to interface with the AP and NavNets. Do I therefore need the PG700 Hdg. Sensor? IE, it appears to me the SC-30 is the primary, the NavNet is the secondary, and the Pg700 is the third layer?

The PG700 could make a good secondary source of heading if the boat isn't metal. The NavNet does not provide heading so isn't a source. Don't confuse GPS COG as heading. They are NOT the same. You don't have to have the PG700. The SC-30 is an excellent source of heading (better then PG700) and if it were to get damaged, most people can live without heading until it gets fixed. GPS on the other hand, you definitely want at least two good sources.

Q: So I should substitute the F1-5000 for the F1-5002?

What is a FI5000? Is this a unit sold outside the USA?

I'm not sure I'd use the combined GPS and VHF antenna for the AIS. I'd probably use a std VHF antenna, and the GPS mushroom antenna. I think you can order the AIS either way. Or at least compare pricing to see if there is a difference.

Q: I am confused. Why would it be better to do that?

Unless it is a large ship, you normally wouldn't. Large ships will use a combiner option to prevent running an extra set of wires. Your typical boat wouldn't find it that cost effective. Also note, you can't use a VHF whip unless the AIS is receive only. Transmitting AIS units (class A&B) require an AIS rated antenna, NOT just a standard VHF.

If you do plan to connect an SC to the radar scanner, make sure it is one that has that option. Newer model scanners no longer have a connection for NMEA 2000 items. I would NOT recommend this regardless, unless you have a very difficult cable run.

If you have a small NMEA 2000 bus, the FI-5002 makes a good compact and low bus solution. If the items are all over the boat with many items, you should use a normal NMEA 2000 bus configuration.

"The PG700 could make a good secondary source of heading if the boat isn't metal. The NavNet does not provide heading so isn't a source. Don't confuse GPS COG as heading. They are NOT the same. You don't have to have the PG700. The SC-30 is an excellent source of heading (better then PG700) and if it were to get damaged, most people can live without heading until it gets fixed. GPS on the other hand, you definitely want at least two good sources."

You are correct, I was confusing GPS/COG with a heading sensor. I will use the SC-30 as the primary, and the PG700 as the secondary.

"What is a FI5000? Is this a unit sold outside the USA?"

I don't know either. Ignore that comment. I will use the F1-5002 box to integrate.

"Also note, you can use a VHF whip unless the AIS is receive only. Transmitting AIS units (class A&B) require an AIS rated antenna, NOT just a standard VHF."

Copy - previous boat had AIS, and I found it very useful. Couple questions on this:

-So instead of the GPS/VHF GVA-100 little antenna shown, sounds like I should use a standard 6 or 8 ft. long antenna rated for AIS?

-Would this same AIS antenna be used for typical radio/VHF comm's, or do I need another antenna for that?

"If you do plan to connect an SC to the radar scanner, make sure it is one that has that option. Newer model scanners no longer have a connection for NMEA 2000 items. I would NOT recommend this regardless, unless you have a very difficult cable run. "

The diagram shows the SC-30 directly connected to the Radar scanner. I figured the Sc-30 would talk nicely to the scanner under NMEA 2000?

-So instead of the GPS/VHF GVA-100 little antenna shown, sounds like I should use a standard 6 or 8 ft. long antenna rated for AIS?

-Would this same AIS antenna be used for typical radio/VHF comm's, or do I need another antenna for that

The FA50 comes with a GPS antenna (GPA017) that should be used. For the whip; you need one that is rated for AIS. Some companies make whips rated for both VHF and AIS, but it MUST be rated to transmit AIS. If it only says VHF, then you CAN'T use it.

-Would this same AIS antenna be used for typical radio/VHF comm's, or do I need another antenna for that?

There are some after market devices that will allow your VHF and AIS to share the same whip antenna. (antenna would need to be suitable for both) I normally don't recommend these devices because our dealers have told us they are high failure rate items. I normally recommend you have a dedicated AIS whip antenna.

The diagram shows the SC-30 directly connected to the Radar scanner. I figured the Sc-30 would talk nicely to the scanner under NMEA 2000?

Yes, if that is the scanner you are buying (DRS12A), then you can connect the SC30 to the radar if you wish. Just beware that many of the newer scanners do not offer this connection.

Johnny E, thanks for the feedback.

I will use two whips...one for AIS and one for VHF. Thanks for clearing that up.

I am not using the open array scanner shown in the original diagram. I am using the DRS4D NXT dome. If I I can't use the SC30 with this scanner, is there another sat compass I can use?

I will use the PG700 heading sensor, but I was hoping to have two heading sensors.

I am not using the open array scanner shown in the original diagram. I am using the DRS4D NXT dome. If I I can't use the SC30 with this scanner, is there another sat compass I can use?

You would still use the SC30 but it would connect to your normal NMEA 2000 bus, not your radar scanner.

Thank you. I also called TS today, and I appreciate the help. It is much better than what I have had with other brands in the past.

Back