1815 radar AIS issue

1815 radar AIS issue

Postby fish2live » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:16 pm

I'm installing an 1815 radar and a new VHF with gps/ais outputs. In the radar menus, both AIS and GPS are grayed out and I cannot select them. I do have a 4800 baud feed from the gps into the radar, and in the self test I see that the GLL and RMC sentences check OK. The self test screen does not have the VDM sentence listed, but I am sure that the radar is getting a 38.4k baud VDM sentence. Neither of the NMEA ports shows any result on the self test screen, though port 1 is obviously seeing the gps data. My position is shown elsewhere.

The radar is supposed to use all of these sentences. I don't understand why I can't turn on the AIS targets in the menu, and where has the VDM sentence gone?

On the self test screen, shouldn't there be some indication of the states of Port 1 and Port 2, especially since the radar is clearly using data coming into Port 1?
fish2live

Re: 1815 radar AIS issue

Postby Flatline » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:18 am

Fish2live,
Thank you for the inquiry.
In order to be able to display AIS target information and icons the 1815 radar requires position and a heading input (HDM, HDT, or HDG). Is there presently a source for this, possibly a fluxgate compass from an autopilot or a satellite compass?
Flatline

Re: 1815 radar AIS issue

Postby fish2live » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:35 am

The requirement for a heading input is not mentioned anywhere in the manual, though it does make a certain amount of sense. The nmea port 3 seems to be dedicated to heading data.

This information deserves some prominent place in the operator manual. I spend several hours puzzling over this problem and testing wires and connections.
fish2live

Return to Radar