How well does the DRS4D-NXT track rain?

cp10415

I am in the process of determining which radar to go with for my 30' fishing boat. I read some of the recent posts in this forum about the NXT and its target tracking and bird mode potential. But I would like to know how it does with regards to tracking rain. So, with Doppler, I suppose I can see rain coming or going easier?

It sees rain as well as any X-band radar but better because it will colorize the rain and show you moving targets beneath the rain without the need to turn on a rain filter. It is the first radar that I know of that can see both heavy rain and targets in an area at the same time.

cp10415,

Attached is a picture of the radar image from DRS4D-NXT displaying rain (in blue) while also using the Target Analyzer feature.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• nxt rain.jpg
    nxt rain.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 2,765
DB Cooper":37bvjqne said:
cp10415,

Attached is a picture of the radar image from DRS4D-NXT displaying rain (in blue) while also using the Target Analyzer feature.
Hope this helps.

Great! Does it show storm cells direction of movement?

My understanding is that I can use TimeZero Pro software on a PC with the DRS4D-NXT (in place of a Navnet Display).

Anyone know whether TimeZero Pro will show the rain echoes?

Einstein-
You might want to contact Nobeltec for how they display rain on TZ Pro. I am sure it will work as well as on a TZT unit, but they may have some actual pictures.

Nobeltec confirms that the rain mode option is available on TZ Pro.

I'm wondering if the DRS4D-NXT actually sees up (azimuth) i.e do you know whether it can detect clouds?

Einstein,

With a vertical beam width of 25 degrees, and output power of 25 watts. The DRS4D-NXT can detect Rain. It cannot however, detect rain clouds. :noway

- Deep Blue

Attachments

• rain.jpg
    rain.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 2,323
Back