Problem getting TZTL2 w/ NXT to stay in Target Analyzer mode

GEG

Installed TZTL2-15 and -12 with DRS4D-NXT. Radar overlays great over charts. However, when I go to radar screen, call up the pop-up and press target analyzer on, it slides to on and immediately goes back to off. I can't seem to get it to stay on. Are there other settings that need to be in/not in operation? I am getting gps from the -12 (master) and heading from a 220wx gyro sensor, no problems there. Current Software 4.01. Everything else seems to work as it's supposed to with exception of TA.
Thank you

You need a heading sensor (compass) in the system for the TA to work properly.
Do you have an autopilot?

Also ensure your GPS position lock is staying with a tight fix (look at the sat monitor screen). If your GPS fix isn't staying good, it can cause that. You might need to add an external antenna.

Have a Furuno 220wx which has a gyro compass and is on the net. Gps is locked. I know the heading data is good because I can overlay radar on my chart screen. Just cannot get TA to stay on.

First ensure you are running the newest software on everything. If updated, it should be factory cleared afterwards before restoring your data. If still having problems, the most common cause is the GPS (of your weather unit) not keeping a tight fix. You can have a position lock but the DOP is getting too big for the target analyzer to use. This can be caused by many things, but many times because the GPS has been mounted within a radar beam or other transmitting device. For example, your GPS needs to be at least 3 feet away from a VHF or AIS transmission whip. If left long enough being blasted by some other device, the front end amp of the GPS will have it's sensitivity permanently damaged.

Johnny, Thank you, I'll double check the software updates. The 220wx is mounted higher than the radar so the gps is not inside the beam. I'll try using with mfd's internal gps, or one of the others that I have. All gps's are over four feet from radio antennas. :think

Tried internal gps and now get Target Analyzer mode to stay on. :jump I would not have thought that different gps's responded so differently.
Thank you.

Back