DRS4D-NXT vertical beam width

A

Anonymous

I have a sailing boat that will sail heeled at 20 deg very often. I want to know if the radar image will be satisfactory at that heel angle?

The specification of the DRS4D-NXT is a +/- 12.5 deg vertical beam width. If all the radar beam is within that vertical beam width then when heeled at 20 deg I will have no returns to one side where I will have just sky and the other side will have no horizon and so limited returns.

Other radar makes give a percentage of their beam outside of this 25 deg vertical beam width, so what is the actual beam pattern on this model? Is there a radiation beam strength chart available? The Navico 4g for example specifies in their installation manual that 100% of beam power is within a 50 deg vertical beam spread of which 50% is in the central 25 deg spread.

You are speaking of side lobes, which should not be relied on for marking targets. Returns can appear where they are not.

I am not sure it is possible on your boat, but have you considered a gimbaled mount?

A gimbaled mount has the disadvantage that cables break, sometimes quite quickly. I'd rather not if I don't have to, hence my questions about beam width.

I am not talking about side lobes. I need to mark the target with the main beam, maybe somewhat attenuated if the beam width tapers off, if there is minimal taper then it won't work and it is that tapering off that I need to know about. Do you or anyone know what the beam spread looks like? - A radiation pattern?

Furbee-
I have requested the information from our parent company.
I will post when I have a response.

Furbee-
I have received the information you requested. While the actual beam pattern is considered confidential we can assure you that Navico’s information is similar to ours.
It was also mentioned that Radar radio waves actually proceed by curving along the sea surface. Even with the ship tilted, there is little influence of inclination in long distances of several miles or more. Small objects in short ranges may be affected.
It is also our opinion, as well as most every other marine radar manufacturer, that 50% of low power, .7 Watt FMCW Navico transmitter, is not enough transmit energy to reliably detect targets in adverse weather conditions. This is why we don’t make a FMCW radar. FMCW technology is not new or proprietary to Navico, it's just weak. Radar is an echo based system and a strong signal is imperative.
I hope this helps you with your decision. Let us know if there is any further questions.

Back