NXT Performance issue

mikek

Furuno Fan
My new boat has a TZT2 and the NXT radar. I'm having some issues with the radar and wondering if anyone has any suggestions. The radar refuses to pick up small targets. I basically use it for collision avoidance at night. I can't get it to pick up channel cans or 6 knot marker buoys. It will occasionally fail to pick up day markers also.

I usually run it on the auto gain and clutter settings and have tried changing the main bag filter from 0 to 100 with no change. I have tried with the resboost from off to 3 and no change. I have been able to play with the gain and have it pick up small objects with the gain at 100% but never on auto gain or with the target analyzer on. Also when its at 100% gain it does not black out the screen with returns. It picks up objects at distances very well and anything with a radar reflector is picked up well.

I'm pretty experienced with radar and had no problems picking up cans and small buoys with my 4G radar, Garmin 18 and even a Navnet 2. Any suggestions? Thanks

I have seen the NXT light off Racon at a mile. Most other solid state units sold on the market can't do that. There is no doubt that you have a problem with yours. Do you have a photo of your install and the items around your antenna? By the sound of it, you are getting some nearby reflections that is causing the radar to turn up the filtering. There is no way the 4G will beat the NXT unless something is wrong.

Attached is a pic of the boat. I know the vhf is close to it but not any other options. Also what's your opinion on the angle of the radar, do I need to add a larger wedge? I also think there is some user error involved in my problems. Thanks.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    664.2 KB · Views: 1,932
Mike,

Tell me a little more about what you are seeing. Do you notice these targets get better or worse when the boat is on plane vs. off plane? The NXT should be seeing the targets you are describing easily, so I'd like to help you find out why the NXT on your boat is not.

Stickman

Its probably 18-24 inches away. There just isn't any room on the top for it. I used the radar and had the same issues before I put the antenna on so I didn't think that was the issue. I'm hoping to play with it tomorrow and try and take a video of how it performances. I'm also planning on ordering a 4 degree wedge. I added a heading sensor today and over lay and trails work but it didn't have any change on the returns.

Stickman,
Turning the gain up to the mid 90's and sea clutter in the teens I can have it show the return about every 3-5 passes and it s a strong return. Sometimes it will miss it for 10 passes tho. I can't have the radar show small returns on it in auto mode or with target analyzer mode on. I have been keeping my range at .5 miles but if i remember correctly I loose targets closer than .25 miles so it leads me to believe I need more wedge. This is all while tied up to my dock. Honestly, I have mostly played with it while off plane. Below is a pic of targets I'm referring to. They are all over the bay in Ocean City and none have lights on them.

Attachments

• image2.PNG
    image2.PNG
    303.4 KB · Views: 1,897
I have a few settings I'd like you to try. I'm from Maryland so I'm very familiar with OC and Assowoman Bay. Once I get to work in the morning I'll reply with menu settings I'd like you to look at for me. And I agree, a four degree wedge will help, especially with close-in targets. I am running a four degree Seaview wedge on my NXT.

Stickman

Mike,

Here are the menu settings I'd like you to check for me. This post will seem long because I included pictures, but it is literally something you can check in a few seconds.

With you TZT2 and NXT powered up:

Tap the Menu icon.
1.jpg

Tap the Settings Icon.
2.jpg

Tap the Radar Icon
3.jpg

Scroll Down and Tap the Target Analyzer Icon and ensure it is in Target Mode
4.jpg

Exit out of the menu and return to your Radar screen on the TZT2

Tap anywhere on the Radar screen and tap the Radar Filters Icon
5.2.jpg

Tap the RezBoost Icon
6.2.jpg

Ensure RezBoost is set to Standard for now
7.2.png

Go back to your radar screen and tap anywhere on the screen.

Tap on the Auto Sea Mode Icon
8.3.jpg

Ensure that in this mode your unit is set to Advanced and not Coastal
9.3.jpg

Once you look at these three menu settings, please let me know what you find. This will help me determine how to help you further.

Stickman

I spoke with technical support and they walked me through how to reset the display to factor settings. I followed your settings after that and it seems to be working great now. In the pic is the closest I can consistently receive returns which makes me think I need more wedge. I was picking up kayaks at 1.5 miles yesterday so I'm pretty impressed with that. The attached picture shows both cans being marked while I was running. Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    459.6 KB · Views: 1,863
Back